Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Browning Maxus and Gold patterns with the factory full choke (Updated)

Started by 8upbowhunter, February 22, 2011, 04:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

Try shooting at large sheets of paper next time out.  Shooting small targets will not tell you much.  Your patterns may be centered far off of the 10" predrawn circle targets.  A good many shotguns, regardless of make, will not shoot true to the bead. Chokes can have very different POIs from the same gun as well.

You can buy contractors paper in rolls 35" wide x 140' long at hardware stores, Home Depot, or Lowes for 10-12 bucks a roll. Shoot, then draw your circles around the most dense portion of the pattern. You may find you need adjustable sights.

Have a good one,

Reloader

gophert

Quote from: TheSportsman on February 27, 2011, 07:05:09 PM
Dead bird BUT give the Hevi 13 2 1/4oz 6s and 7s a try.  Esp. the 7s.

Take that lead shot and throw it in the trash and go get you some Hevi 13 #7's.  You will never look back or waste your money on more ammo. 

8upbowhunter

Thanks for the advice and patience everyone. This is basically my first year turkey hunting and I am new to most of this. I'll drop by home depot and get a roll of contractors paper and give it another try to see where my gun is shooting and what the true pattern looks like. I will also get some Hevi 13's and give them a try.

My gun may be shooting off to one side but my gun isn't drilled and tapped for a scope so I guess that's out for this year. Are there any adjustable sights that do not require the receiver to be drilled and tapped?

Thanks for the help everyone.

goldenhunter

Quote from: 8upbowhunter on February 27, 2011, 08:26:25 PM

My gun may be shooting off to one side but my gun isn't drilled and tapped for a scope so I guess that's out for this year. Are there any adjustable sights that do not require the receiver to be drilled and tapped?

Try these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=671251

Reloader

It should be over in the paint section at HD.

Yep, the William US or Tru Glo Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dots will give you adjustment shall you need it.

Just remember that different ammo can have different POIs and different chokes can have different POIs as well.  Find what your gun likes and sight in for that.  You may find a combo that hits true to your bead, might not. 

Have a good one,

Reloader

R AJ

Quote from: sugarray on February 27, 2011, 07:43:34 PM
Just changing to #6 makes a big difference.  As soon as folks realize this, the ammo makers with stop making turkey loads in anything but #5s and #6s.  Out to 40 yds that is a killer every time.

So they are going to quit making 7s? Only 5s and 6s? Buy 7s now folk.