OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Browning Maxus and Gold patterns with the factory full choke (Updated)

Started by 8upbowhunter, February 22, 2011, 04:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8upbowhunter

I am new to this forum and turkey hunting so hello everyone.

Here are the results from patterning my Maxus and my son's Gold today. All shots were with the factory Invector Plus full choke from both guns at 40 yards at a 10" circle.

Browning Maxus
Shot1 - Winchester 3-1/2" 4 shot 2-1/4 oz = 36 hits
Shot2 - Winchester 3-1/2" 4 shot 2-1/4 oz = 27 hits
Shot3 - Winchester 3-1/2" 6 shot 2 oz = 43 hits
Shot4 - Winchester 3" 6 shot 1-3/4 oz = 24 hits
Shot5 - Remington 3" 4x6 shot 1-7/8 oz = 63 hits

Browning Gold
Shot1 - Winchester 3" 6 shot 1-3/4 oz = 41 hits
Shot2 - Remington 3" 4x6 shot 1-7/8 oz = 55 hits

Next week we will go pattern both guns with the Primos Jelly Head choke shooting the same loads and post our results here. Hopefully we can get a better pattern than we are currently getting from the factory chokes.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gobble!

looks like you got that bird but I would not feel too confident with that pattern

8upbowhunter

I am not confident with that pattern either. I still have about 5 weeks till the season opens and a lot of shooting to do before. When my new choke comes in I will test the same loads with it to see if it gets any better and if not I guess I will buy a few more different loads and try them until I get a good pattern.

hookedspur

With the heavy loads and after market tubes available today you can put well over 200 maybe over 300 in that circle.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

chipper

I would suggest the Hevi 13 #7,s and a indian creek choke if you'll look back a few pages you can see the pattern I shot last sunday with that combination of shot and choke out of the Invector plus bore.

stinkpickle

You might wanna try some Federals with the Flight Control Wads with that full choke, also.

8upbowhunter

I ordered a Jelly Head choke that will be here in a few days and will check these loads with that choke next week. If I don't get a good pattern with it I will try a few different loads like the Hevi 13's and Federal flight control before ordering a new choke. I've read good things about the Indian Creek chokes and may give it a shot if I can't get good results from the Primos.

Reloader

I feel you will easily get over 100 with the JH and the lead 6s.  Turkey chokes perform so much better than factory fulls for shots past 30-35yds IME, even cheap chokes.  I would get away from the 4s, they simply are not needed for turkey hunting and usually provide terrible patterns.

I agree with Stink, if you are gona go flush full, the FC wad is the ticket.  They aren't worth a hoot compared to Win loads in turkey chokes IME.  One of my buddies had patterns with FCs nearly as good with a flush mod as he did with a turkey choke in his Extrema.  I've seen the FCs pattern better out of some turkey chokes than others, but they just don't seem to hang with Win from the right choke when it comes to lead.

Hevi will make even a flush full a turkey killer if you don't desire long range.  Hevi in your new JH will open your eyes.  Just remember that the higher the counts the less wiggle room you have on close shots.

Good Luck

Reloader

8upbowhunter

I never really planned to hunt with the flush full. It was more of something to do today and have something to compare the JH tube with when it comes in. I will continue to try different loads / chokes until I get the right combination. The more I read here I notice more hunters are shooting 6 & 7 shot so I may try more of these loads to see how they perform.  Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Gold Spur

My Browning Gold with a 24" barrell patterns good with H-13 3.5" 7"s , through a IC .665 choke. I can get 280 hits @ 40yds. The H-13 3.5" 6"s pattern good also.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

GOLD HUNTER

Ive got a gold and just get a ic.675 for the hevi-shot and a ic.665 for copper you will gey in the 200's + E-Z.

brian

8upbowhunter

Went pattern again today with the Jellyhead choke. All shots were at 40 yards at a 10" circle with factory sight bead. The results were better but no where near what I expected. Maybe I will try some Hevi 13's and Federal next time out.

Maxus

Winchester 3.5" 2-1/4 oz 4 shot = 62 hits
Remington 3" 1-7/8 0z 4x6 shot = 42 hits
Winchester 3" 1-3/4 oz 6 shot = 52 hits
Winchester 3.5" 2 oz 6 shot = 99 hits

Gold

Winchester 3" 1-3/4 oz 6 shot = 96 hits
Remington 3" 1-7/8 oz 4x6 shot = 58 hits

[attachment deleted by admin]

TheSportsman

Dead bird BUT give the Hevi 13 2 1/4oz 6s and 7s a try.  Esp. the 7s.

Gobble!

have you gave the barrels a good deep clean or a polish job before? if not you may want to try it because it usually greatly increases patterns

sugarray

Just changing to #6 makes a big difference.  As soon as folks realize this, the ammo makers with stop making turkey loads in anything but #5s and #6s.  Out to 40 yds that is a killer every time.