turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

When to start scouting?

Started by Limb Hanger, February 22, 2011, 03:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limb Hanger

Our season starts here in Ut in a month. When do you think is a good time to start scouting for the turkeys. There is a bit of snow here still and i know the birds head higher up into the hills as soon as the snow melts. I hunt some property that is higher than where the birds winter  so im asking, When should they be back to there summer roost? Thanks
Git-R-Done

jyoung

Limb Hanger,
I've never hunted "snow birds," but in my experience, it's never too early to start scouting.  I know down here in the south the birds are already gobbling and struting.  We havin about 3 weeks til our season opens.
Jonathan Young

hookedspur

I start a little scouting in the fall when deer hunting.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

huntinhard

yesterday.

what I mean is the sooner the better

Limb Hanger

Thanks for the replies. All the birds are still on private property for now, but when the snow melts a little they will come. Do toms have the same roosts year after year and strutt zones?
Git-R-Done

huntinhard

I would say for the most part, strut zones stay pretty regular, not always the same gobbler but the same strut zone anyway. Things that change strut zones would be clearings becoming overgrown, or realatively fresh burns. The overgrown clearing would be abandoned, and I've never seen a fresh burn that wasn't being used by turkeys (atleast in the south).

Roosting sites can be more dependent on the type of terrain. I know in southern Florida with the big pastures and cypress heads birds tend to roost in pine trees sometimes the same one if thats all there is or within a group of them.  I've even seen birds on a rotation of roosting sites. Had a group of birds that would roost below my house every other night one spring.  In habitat with lots of suitable roosting trees, birds are apt to fly up wherever they are when it starts getting dark, which could be the same general area night after night. 

I can't speak for how they act in western terrain as I've never hunted them there but I'm sure somebody can help out there

socalturkeyman

my thoughts on this are that they will stick to the same cayon and roost anywhere within the area. I was gonna hunt ut this year but i might not be going this year.

limb hanger Where abouts you hunting?
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

Limb Hanger

I we will be hunting just up Prove Canyon aways SOCALTURKEYMAN. Thanks for the info guys :thanks:
Git-R-Done

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

socalturkeyman

LimbHanger your way up there lol. I was gonna hunt the southern region.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

Limb Hanger

Yes i am, I've never hunted the South end of the state. To far to drive for a turkey I guess. Thanks
Git-R-Done

Hootowl

I watched Birds this Fall everyday for about 2 weeks in a Row, They would enter this woods I Deer hunted, and they Came in the Same place everytime within a 30 minutes. But what was odd is they Came from a picked Corn Field, and enter the woods in this small Corner and would just mill around Scratch around Feed some on the Acorn's then back into the Field, and back into a Smaller woods. They for some reason they wanted to be in that smaller woods. I at the time didn't Turkey Hunt, But I thought How patternable these Birds Were. They were all Hens and It was always 7 or 8 Hens They were all within Minutes apart as they Moved through the woods. I reall never figured out where they came from, as there were Bigger woods Across the County road. I will Hunt this Woods for the 1st time this Spring, I have a starting Place, But I am sure they will Change Movement Patterns Buy Spring? I was at this wood about 2 weeks ago and walked through and there was still Snow on the ground, But saw alot of Tracks, This woods is Full of Acorns. I think a Trail Cam would be so Helpful, But I am 1.5 hours from the woods and worry about getting it stolen 2.

Hoot

hunter177

I scout all year around. I keep mental notes of where I see turkeys during deer and bear season. I also keep in mind where I find sign on summer hikes and where I see tracks in the snow during the winter. IMO our Spring Gobbler season starts late here in PA, It's the month of May. However, I've heard turkeys gobble as early as the beginning of April. I also ask friends and locals where they've been seeing any. Good luck!
TriStar Viper G2 12 ga.
26" barrel, black synthetic stock
TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke
Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot