turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

jake decoy or full strut decoy

Started by northms, February 29, 2012, 11:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

What would you rather use? i have a b-mobile strutter that I have killed lots of birds with but did have one hang up last year when he saw it.

I also have a jake decoy I rarely take out with me but thinking about maybe taking in out this year instead of b-mobile.

What do you use or prefer?

K9Doc

I prefer a half-strut jake for most situations.  There are time any gobbler decoy will deter a mature bird.  If you know you have a dominant tom in an area, he will likely come running to fight either one on any given day. 
I hunted Tx one year and they were over-run with jakes.  A jake decoy would send a mature bird running!!!
It's a gamble either way.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Footballer

Jake decoy hands down. A full-strut decoy not only scares away 2 year olds, but they are a pain to carry.

The exception to full-strut decoys would be if I was solely hunting a dominant gobbler. If I've watched a certain gobbler run off several other gobblers, I'll through some type of strutting decoy out. At this point, I'm not worried about the decoy running off subordinant and satellite gobblers.

BP1992

leasburg

I like both, i really like to put a jake mounting a hed facing me in front of me 10 yrds out
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded

coyotetrpr

Quote from: BP1992 on March 01, 2012, 02:56:43 PM
What about a strutting jake?
That is my personal favorite. I have a pretty boy that I put a jake fan on.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

golfernash

DSD jake. No strutters here.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

Flyrodder

Quote from: leasburg on March 02, 2012, 01:43:23 PM
I like both, i really like to put a jake mounting a hed facing me in front of me 10 yrds out
I have a Bubba jake that I mounted on a hen decoy. Gobbler came up, saw bubba on the hen and walked off, I called to him and he started strutting about 70 yds away. I thought he was leaving twice but he turned back when I yelped to him. Third time, he came back in range. I guess he had to work up his courage.
Flyrodder

papabuzzard

I prefer a half-strut jake with a hen - but only in open areas.  I use no decoys in the timber - make him come looking for you.