turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question about roosting.

Started by kenfa03, February 29, 2012, 10:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenfa03

We have some roost trees on the edge of a long straight road. The turkeys will be able to see our headlights from probably a mile away. There is only one way in as the trees are on the property line. My question is will it be possible to set up and catch them coming off the roost without having to walk a mile. Will the truck lites or flashlites bothet them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

honker22

I wouldn't chance it... But I hunt tough Easterns in the south. I've hunted other areas where they weren't too skittish. For me, walking a mile is nothing for a chance to bag a longbeard. You could always go in an hour before daylight with just your parking lights on to get a little closer
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

FullChoke

If you are that certain of their roost site, set up in that area and catch them going to roost in the evening. Call sparingly and expect them to come in silently.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

kenfa03

These are rios in west Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FullChoke

A turkey is a turkey. Roost them the night before to get their exact location. Next morning in total darkness, drive up to within 1/2 mile, and walk in quietly without flashlights. If the road is straight, this should not be a problem. Stay out of their direct line of sight, if possible, and get in close to them (<100 yards) to set up. Begin calling after they are on the ground.

The rest is up to you. Good luck.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

redleg06

I imagine I walk a handful of miles in a day go turkey hunting without 100% knowing where the next bird will be so if I had some roosted then walking a mile to them is a pretty good proposition to me.

In all honesty, you can probably drive in a little closer than that if you're ealry enough and don't make much noise when you actually start walking. Most turkey see cars at least somewhat regularly and don't automatically associate them with danger. Our farmers can drive a property several times a day checking things and I think the turkey get somewhat used to it. If you get out of the car and start toward them out of that same truck you'd have a problem. I don't know that they see car headlights, 800 yds away, an hour before daylight and automatically associate danger but don't get out of the truck and piddle around and make a bunch of noise. Have your stuff ready at the truck, turn lights off as quick as possible and get on down the road quietly.

kenfa03

Thanks for replies. I don't mind the walk but wasn't sure if lites would even bother them. With any moon at all and snake leggings I should be able to walk it in the dark.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Man, we cover 5-7 miles a day with regularity.

The more invincible your presence, the more natural the birds act.

Walk a mile, bro....