turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

air horn for shock gobble

Started by leasburg, February 29, 2012, 10:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leasburg

Old boy at work claims he brings a small boat air horn in his turkey vest.  when nothing else works he nails it and says it will get em?   Sounds freaking weird but wiuld work.  ever heard of this
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded

dirt road ninja

I would bet it does work. I've never tried it, but below are reasons why I do think it will.

When hunting near highways I've heard them gobble when a truck hits it's jake brake.

They gobble at rifle shots.

They gobble at thunder.

I've heard them gobble at low flying airplanes.

I've heard turkeys and coyotes sound off to air horns on tug boats.

I've had them gobble at me unloading my shotgun loud (out of frustration). That was enough to make me want to quit.

Even though I'm sure it would work, what do you think your chance are of working that bird to you after blasting an air horn off?

Spurcollecta

Turkey Trot

It works.  Just listen to some turkeys on the roost near a railroad track on which an engine is blowing the horn at crossings.  I have a really small one that can be easily carried in a vest.

Roger Raisch made a video years ago called Turkey Hunting Secrets and he said it was a secret weapon he used when nothing else worked.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

pullit

It works. I have used one before. I used it a week or so before season to locate where the birds were roosted as they were not talking.

superx2

sounds like where going to have alot of people running around the woods blowing air horns now .
                        :funnyturkey: :funnyturkey:

leasburg

Lol i will run out and get mine tommorrow.   
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded

joshb311

C'mon now. Admit it. You were just trying to con somebody into trying it so they could add a post to the most embarassing hunts thread....  :icon_thumright:

yelpy

Never seen anyone use an air horn but they sure would gobble at the sound.

I carry a target load or two in my vest just for them slow days. It does work. I have gotton on birds that were within 300 yrds of my set up by putting in one of those target shells and pulling the trigger. I would have never known they were working around me if it wasn't for the extra shells. 

leasburg

I Have heard the shotgun meathod before, i think will just wait em out lie usual

savagecaller

One of my before work haunts is a farm on the edge of the city limits, and on tuesdays and wednesdays the dumpster truck works some stores near by, when he gives the dumpster that extra shake and the lid slams down it's just more than they can handle, got a couple trains too...

North of 8

Quote from: liquid affliction on March 02, 2012, 08:11:12 AM
The osceolas must have ear plugs because they ignored it.  This was a few years back on two different ranches.  The dog whistle was also a flop.

:z-flirtysmile3: :z-flirtysmile3:

Need to get a new 2012 model. The old ones were made in china. I bet the stores can't keep them on the shelves now that we turkey hunters heard about them. I might just have to picke me uip one.
Thanks fer another great idea. :thanks:

leasburg

Air horn blasts will be heard round the world from turkey hunters this year, bwaaaahaaaaa

stone road turkey calls

just what you need, some nut in the woods with a air horn 

:TrainWreck1:
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call