OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Early season or late???

Started by talltines, February 29, 2012, 07:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talltines

Wanting to plan a hunt to go after Rios this spring and was wondering what would be the best time to go for the best oppertunity?  When the season opens in early April or closer to the end of season in early May?  Any and all information is appreciated.

twinters

it would really depend on where you are planning to go,if i were planning on going to north central Kansas or south central Nebraska i would plan on the first or second week of May.Texas or Oklahoma you need to go in April about the second or third week.Hope this helps good luck

talltines

Thanks for the advice.  Thinking of Oklahoma, my only options are second week in April around the 9 th or the first week in May around the 2nd.  What do you suggest?

twinters

if that were my options,i would go in may.Secondly it is always better to talk to as many local hunters as possible,things are different from year to year.i personally have not hunted Oklahoma,but have hunted with some hunters from there while hunting other states.so this is second hand advice. my best advice would be to get on the phone if you have any contacts out there,and also you are in for a real treat when you get out there.LOTS of gobbling good luck brother

redleg06

Im originally from Tx and if i had to choose between those dates i'd be going the first or second week of April. Especially considering the mild winter, I imagine things will be good and kicked off by then. I've hunted 95-100 degree days in May and it's not much fun for you or the birds... Just one mans opinion.

talltines

Yeah, thats a good point never thought about the heat.