turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mount for 870?

Started by wisconsinteacher, February 22, 2011, 02:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Just got my 870 back from a drill and tap with weaver mount, looks good. Now to get a FF II and gobbler74 protector
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sugarray

I would expect you could have any placement of holes you wanted.  Just find a rail long enough with just 2 screws and have it drilled to fit that base.  Don't know which one you would need, just look at your local gun shop and find one that works.

pullit

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on February 24, 2011, 08:41:36 AM
Okay, I called a gun shop in town and to drill and tap 4 holes, they want 50.00.  I see that someone posted a picture of a base that was cut with only two holes.  Could this be done for the Mueller RD to give it a cleaner look?  Also, what Weaver base would you get?  I think I am going to go this way with the 870.  (I just sold some AR parts to cover some of the cost)

The Weaver 429 base is what fits a Remington Receiver (see above picture)
I have bought them and used them full length and also cut them down (once again see the above pictures).
Hope this helps.

wisconsinteacher

I am going to find an 429 mount and then get the sight and cut it down to size.  To me it looks better.  I would think two screws will hold it down well.

wisconsinteacher

I just called the gun shop and he said you have to go with 3 if not 4 holes for the 3.5" mag rounds.  Is this true?

pullit

I have the short mount you see in the picture on a 3.5" Super Mag. I have not had any problem.
I did drill all 4 holes for the full length mount just in case I ever wanted to use something that required a longer mount.
There are several guys that are running the 336 mounts and I think they only have 2 screws in them.

schief

the 336 mount only uses 2 screws but thet are bigger than 4 screws used with weaver 429m. the 336 uses 8-40 and weaver uses 6-48.

pullit

Quote from: schief on February 24, 2011, 09:14:20 PM
the 336 mount only uses 2 screws but thet are bigger than 4 screws used with weaver 429m. the 336 uses 8-40 and weaver uses 6-48.
They may be bigger but I don't think the concern is shearing them off. A #6 vs a #8 screw (diameter wise) is very little (about .02 or so.) I can check the exact diameters of both if needed but my point is, as long as you have 85% or so thread engagement diameter wise, you should be fine with either.
Where you could get in trouble with either is using too large of a tap drill, but using the right size drill bit is machine shop 101.

schief

Quote from: pullit on February 24, 2011, 10:01:44 PM
They may be bigger but I don't think the concern is shearing them off. A #6 vs a #8 screw (diameter wise) is very little (about .02 or so.) I can check the exact diameters of both if needed but my point is, as long as you have 85% or so thread engagement diameter wise, you should be fine with either.
Where you could get in trouble with either is using too large of a tap drill, but using the right size drill bit is machine shop 101.
all i was stateing was the difference in the 2 mounts. as far as which is stronger or better mounts i leave that to the experts.

paladin

I think one reason the fastfire only needs two screws is the weight of the sight.
a steel full length base will weigh more than a fastfire and the marlin base.
This reduces the stress placed on the screws. Physics 101 ...inertia
What does the Mueller weigh?
I looked it up. The Mueller weighs 4 oz and the burris .9 without the marlin base.
"have gun-will travel"

pullit

Quote from: schief on February 25, 2011, 07:49:05 AM
Quote from: pullit on February 24, 2011, 10:01:44 PM
all i was stateing was the difference in the 2 mounts. as far as which is stronger or better mounts i leave that to the experts.
I was not picking, just saying I don't think it will matter in this case.