OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mount for 870?

Started by wisconsinteacher, February 22, 2011, 02:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I would like to mount a Mueller sight on my 870.  It is not tapped for mounts so I am wondering what system you guys have used on your guns?

sugarray

I think the only other option is a saddle mount.  Search Midway USA or Optics Planet and you'll see what it looks like.

wisconsinteacher

Are the saddle mounts able to take the recoil of 3.5" mags?  Also, it is a weaver style optic right?

GeorgeShu

I took my 870 to a gun smith and had him bore and tap for a mount.  I mounted a Fast Fire II on it and just love the slim lines.  It shoots great as well.  Previously I had a saddle mount but that sits just a little too high for my comfort as well as being a bit uncomfortable on the recoil.

Paid $45 for the work plus the mount strip.  Recommend you go that route vs the saddle.  Just my opinion.  Good luck!

va longbeard

The saddle mount will take the recoil and dish it out as well.

I have been using one for the last 7 years on a 870 supermag with 3 1/2 inch shells and a Sigtron red dot and never had a shift in zero or missed a gobbler with it.

Watch your fingers as mine has bit me more than once from recoil as the back of the mount will get you if your not careful.

Lordy I have bleed as much as the gobblers I killed a couple of times when my finger was not low enough on the trigger!

I am setting up a new 870 bone collector with a Burris Fast Fire and Marlin mount and am looking forward to a lower sight picture.

hookedspur

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on February 22, 2011, 04:34:43 PM
Are the saddle mounts able to take the recoil of 3.5" mags?  Also, it is a weaver style optic right?
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

hookedspur

Quote from: va longbeard on February 22, 2011, 05:56:18 PM
The saddle mount will take the recoil and dish it out as well.

I have been using one for the last 7 years on a 870 supermag with 3 1/2 inch shells and a Sigtron red dot and never had a shift in zero or missed a gobbler with it.

Watch your fingers as mine has bit me more than once from recoil as the back of the mount will get you if your not careful.

Lordy I have bleed as much as the gobblers I killed a couple of times when my finger was not low enough on the trigger!

I am setting up a new 870 bone collector with a Burris Fast Fire and Marlin mount and am looking forward to a lower sight picture.
YEP !!!:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

paladin

I would disagree.
There are atleast two post of b square mounts with bent screws due to recoil.
"have gun-will travel"

va longbeard

Maybe some have had trouble but I have four other friends that are shooting 3 1/2 inch hevi shells with the B square mounts and not one of us has had a bit of trouble.

The only drawbacks I have seen are weight, high mount and bloody fingers from recoil.

joshua

Quote from: va longbeard on February 22, 2011, 08:26:56 PM
Maybe some have had trouble but I have four other friends that are shooting 3 1/2 inch hevi shells with the B square mounts and not one of us has had a bit of trouble.

The only drawbacks I have seen are weight, high mount and bloody fingers from recoil.
This right here would make me want to get the gun drilled and tapped.   :anim_25:
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

schief

get a weaver 429M rail and have gun drilled and tapped for it.

pullit

I have used the 429 mount on several of my 870's.
Here are a few mounting pictures I took while I was mounting them. You will see one full length and one cut off.

headshot870

Another option is to use an Aimtech Rib-Rider mount. As the name implies, it mounts on the rib in a "scout scope" position.

Here's the link: http://www.aimtech-mounts.com/Rib%20Riders.htm

And here's a pic of one on my 870: (mine is the 2pc, a 1pc is also available)

Nathan

PureGold

The B-Sqaure mount is higher quality than some of the other saddle mounts out there. I have not had any problems with mine at all.

One of the advantages of the B-Square...

The saddle is raised so you can see under it. Put a fiber optic bead style sight on the front and in the unfortunate case that your batterys die while afield you can still shoot with the fiber optic sight.

My $.02

wisconsinteacher

Okay, I called a gun shop in town and to drill and tap 4 holes, they want 50.00.  I see that someone posted a picture of a base that was cut with only two holes.  Could this be done for the Mueller RD to give it a cleaner look?  Also, what Weaver base would you get?  I think I am going to go this way with the 870.  (I just sold some AR parts to cover some of the cost)