OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Curious

Started by eaglea1, February 29, 2012, 03:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglea1

Can you guys fill in a norhern rookie, on trumpet calls.. ???

flatliner

To start with there are 2main styles the first being a Jordan style which is made from cane and or bamboo with a wingbone mouth piece. That being said you will find from mild to wild on the outside design. It is each call makers choice on that. The internals may vary in hole sizes slight but most are close to the same diameter. They may and will most likly differ in lengths of each hole depending on what sound the call maker is trying to get

Second is the Turpin style which has tapered internals. The hole diameters and length will vary from callmakwr to callmaker. With these there are as many different internal and external configuration as there are callmakers and some callmakers have more than one version

That's just a fast simple intro to them. They take time to learn to run. Most won't pick one up and be fluent with it as soon as they start using one. The cost can run from 30 bucks to several hundred. Most are in the 75 to 150 buck range depending on options like ivory mouth piece or different materials

Kehl

eaglea1

flatliner

The first call pictued here is my style of a JORDAN the second is my version of a TURPIN

cannonball

flatliner

The Jordan is the one I took 2nd place with at the 2011 Nationals

eaglea1

Very nice , thanks for the info again, you've got me interested now.

Basser69

Those are some good looking calls!  :icon_thumright: What kind of burl is that Jordan? I like the looks of it  :drool:

Turkey Trot

Did Bill Lester add anything particularly unique to trumpets with his baffle system?

I don't own one and don't fully understand what he added because I have not seen the internals, but he talks it up at shows and claims that it makes a trumpet easier to work.

http://www.wlesteratdockery.com/about.htm

http://theclevelandcurrent.com/index.php/news/27-the-bean-counter-back-in-business-on-highway-8.html
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

flatliner

Not sure if it makes any difference. I have seen or ran his calls or even heard that he baffles them. I know steve lumma puts something like a baffle in his  I know they are very decreeing but unsure if they make a diffence next time I talk to him I'll ask him and see what he thinks

pappy

Baffling a call is important, the internals for each call maker is somewhat different in the fact that they have their own version of baffling, or even to the point as to not baffle a call at all. Baffling to me makes the call run easier, like baffling a tube call, air intake is compressed somewhat.
Here is one of my calls, this one took me a first the Minnesota contest this year, it is baffled and the internals are the same setup that won the 2011 Midwest Nationals in Wisconsin........  :-\  ....but for some reason they just won't work when it comes to the Grand Nationals in Nashville??? Go figure.

The trumpet in the bottom of the picture is not baffled, but the internals take up the slack as they are different and compress the incoming air pretty well on their own...pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

M Sharpe

A true Jordan is suppose to be a 3 piece call made from cane and wingbones. Either the mouthpiece and middle section being bone and the bell cane...or....wingbone mouthpiece and the other two sections cane.

As for the baffling, I perfer to do my own baffling. Manipulating the air with my middle finger. I've always suspected the baffles where to keep others from looking inside the trumpet. When you look through one, you should see a perfectly round hole on the end. When one is baffled by having something stuck in the end, it would seem to me that you then have a call that the callmaker has pre-determined the volume at which you can call.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

flatliner

You are right about the Jordan. A true Jordan is as you stated. Im noy sure where along the line that what most consider a jordan these days started to evolve. Would like to see G8CALLS jump in he knows alot about the history and could probable shed some light and probable  give some dates on the time lines of when each call started

Kehl

VanHelden Game Calls

The baffle helps control the air movement of the call, making it "easier" for the player.  I have played around with the idea but I have failed to come up with a baffle that does not handicap my call. I maybe putting the baffle in the wrong place because either I ease the play and loose dynamic range or muffle the sound altogether.

I find I can achieve the same effect with my figure/hand over the bell and this allows me freedom to make the call work how I want.

I have a question on  trumpets regarding the 2 styles.  What if your running a tapper and straights?  Hybrid? or is there a "proper" name?

flatliner

I think it is still considered and Turpin