OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WINCHESTER EXTENDED RANGE OR HIGH VELOCITY?

Started by bbcoach, February 29, 2012, 10:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

I've been thinking of making the transition back to lead when my current stock pile of Hevi's are gone.  I need some feedback on the Winchester Extended vs High Velocity.  I'm currently shooting an 835 with 3 1/2 7's and will probably change over to 3 1/2 6's when I make the switch.  I'm shooting a PG .670 choke.   Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Philippe

I recently shot the WIN HV 3.5 2 1/4oz 6's with a PG .670, love the patrerns. Check out m post in the pattern section and see for yourself.

bbcoach

Quote from: Philippe on February 29, 2012, 10:53:31 AM
I recently shot the WIN HV 3.5 2 1/4oz 6's with a PG .670, love the patrerns. Check out m post in the pattern section and see for yourself.
Just what I thought.  The PG and Stardot are the ticket with the 835 and the Hevi's and it seems to be the same with lead.  Not much difference in the two.  Shoot them on a 30 X 30 piece of paper and see which one has the most even pattern and you'll have your answer.

WildSpur

Which ever you chose I would get the 6's.  I tried the 3.5" high velocity #5 the other day and had 67 hits with the pure gold.  20" barrel and temp was around 30 degrees.

Both are good loads.  Imo see if you can find the high velocity #6 at Walmart for $12.47 a box.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

3" 870 Shell Shucker

With Winchester Loads:

Extended Range = Heavier Than Lead
(Expensive.  I Never see these at Wal-Mart.)

Supreme HV = High Velocity Copperplated Lead
(Very Affordable at Wal-Mart.  Amost $2 Each at other stores.)

Supreme XX Magnum = Maximum Payload Copperplated Lead
(I Never see these at Wal-Mart.  Amost $2 Each at other stores.)

Super X = Buffered Copperplated Lead
(Very Cheap at Wal-Mart.)

Tom Foolery

My 835 + StarDot shoots the Win HV 3.5" #6 130-150 and shoots the Win 3.5" XX Supreme 2.25oz #5 110-120.

stinkpickle

If you're looking to save money over Hevi-13, going the Extended Range route isn't going to help much.   ;)

FttFttVroom!

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 29, 2012, 02:35:39 PM
If you're looking to save money over Hevi-13, going the Extended Range route isn't going to help much.   ;)

Extended Range = $3.85 per shell
Hevi 13 = $5.79 per shell

On a per shell basis it's dramatically cheaper, but why are you looking at extended range if you are wanting to transition back to lead?

To answer the question, Extended Range is better than High Velocity by leaps and bounds in my gun.  I get barely over 100 in the ten with HV (shot 101 last weekend) while XR gives me high 180's to low 170's every time.

C J Stahly

Quote from: FttFttVroom! on February 29, 2012, 09:33:39 PM

On a per shell basis it's dramatically cheaper, but why are you looking at extended range if you are wanting to transition back to lead?

To answer the question, Extended Range is better than High Velocity by leaps and bounds in my gun.  I get barely over 100 in the ten with HV (shot 101 last weekend) while XR gives me high 180's to low 170's every time.

Academy Sports:  Hevi-13 3.5" Shells: 19.99/5 = 3.998/Shell
Local Stores and Wal-Mart when you can find them: with Win XDR: 3.5" Shells 38.99-39.99/10 = 3.899-3.99/shell

Find which one patterns better cause they cost the same.  The only issue I see with the XDR is that I dont want to buy a box of 10 shells (spending 2x the money) and have 9 shells that won't work worth a darn

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteThe super x turkey loads in the gray box at walmart are copperplated.

Ooops!!!  I corrected my post.  Thanks.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: C J Stahly on March 01, 2012, 07:58:20 AM
Quote from: FttFttVroom! on February 29, 2012, 09:33:39 PM

Academy Sports:  Hevi-13 3.5" Shells: 19.99/5 = 3.998/Shell
Local Stores and Wal-Mart when you can find them: with Win XDR: 3.5" Shells 38.99-39.99/10 = 3.899-3.99/shell
Find which one patterns better cause they cost the same.  The only issue I see with the XDR is that I dont want to buy a box of 10 shells (spending 2x the money) and have 9 shells that won't work worth a darn

I have NEVER ONCE seen Winchester Supreme Extended Range turkey shells in ANY Wal Mart...ever. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

devin4484

The walmart I go to has extended range for 32.99 in 3".  Only size they have in stock.  I still think that the hv's are the ticket no matter what.  12.47 for 10 shells cant beat that!

stinkpickle

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 03, 2012, 09:59:25 AM
I have NEVER ONCE seen Winchester Supreme Extended Range turkey shells in ANY Wal Mart...ever. 

The Walmart near me used to carry them...several years ago.  I bought the last boxes of their XR 3-1.75-6's when they were on clearance for $13.   :D  They stopped carrying them after that.

mightyjoeyoung

See, now how lucky are some of you guys?!  There isn't a waly world withing hours and hours of here that would dream of carrying high end stuff. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 03, 2012, 02:42:39 PM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 03, 2012, 09:59:25 AM

The Walmart near me used to carry them...several years ago.  I bought the last boxes of their XR 3-1.75-6's when they were on clearance for $13.   :D  They stopped carrying them after that.

a couple or so years ago my local wal mart carried the Win,XR in 3" at the end of the season for some reason they started marking them down
about a month after the season was over I got several boxes of 3" #6's for 6:00 a box
it's not the harvest,it's the chase