OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Well I Say Heck With Waiting On 60 Degrees-I'm Going To The Range To Shoot A Few

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, February 22, 2011, 02:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archery1

great patterns. cant wait to shoot now. only place i found the hevi 13  3"  6 shot was at cabelas bargain cave. nobody around here carries them or if they do they are gone as soon as they get to the shop. thanks again for all ur help
                                 TAKE A KID HUNTING
Take a kid hunting

Reloader

Looks like the good ole Ventilator was showing out again.

A friend of mine was patterning his rig the other day and after I screwed a VL in his rig and he fired it with a lead load and a OW6, he was hooked :D   

SR1

Its gona be another month before its in the 50's during the day here so I am waiting to pattern the 7's with a couple different chokes will post pics whn I do it. :z-guntootsmiley:
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

drum817

Hey Bro....Those look VERY nice.  That SSX did a VERY good job.  It'll be interesting to how much the I C improves with the weather  ;D
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: drum817 on February 25, 2011, 04:52:08 PM
Hey Bro....Those look VERY nice.  That SSX did a VERY good job.  It'll be interesting to how much the I C improves with the weather  ;D

You got that right.  Me too!  

I would also be interested to know if I should try a .670 Indian Creek BDS and see if it will improve vs the one I have.  I know that Mike or Stuart would let me try one against this one and keep the one that shoots the best.  Heck I may even need to try a .680 as well.  That way I would know for sure.  But I don't want to get carried away.   :z-guntootsmiley:

Gobblerdn1

Why is 60 degrees so important? I mean if we are talking about patterns good enough for killing turkeys shouldn't we do some real hunting condtions patterning?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Gobblerdn1 on February 25, 2011, 06:26:16 PM
Why is 60 degrees so important? I mean if we are talking about patterns good enough for killing turkeys shouldn't we do some real hunting condtions patterning?

Very true.  But if you like to play like I do you learn very quickly what temp will do to patterns and I have what I like to test in to stay objective.  60 degrees is what most guys that pattern loads like to have when they test.  It gives them I guess objective guidelines for what works and what doesn't.  But at the same time the cooler temp will put a damper on these chokes that shoot great on warmer days.  And that goes for any choke regardless of the name on it.  10 degrees increase in temp will really help overall patterns.  But like I said if you don't have certain guidelines to measure then it is hard to really have much validity in your results in testing in certain temp so that you know what is working and what isn't.  More times than not the chokes that shoot great on warmer days and beat out other chokes will still beat the same exact chokes on cooler days. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Just remember when you shoot in colder air your shooting in thicker denser or heavier air.  So my theory is that dense air wreaks havoc on the shot flying as true and are more influenced by the denser air and trying to go through it like they would in warmer thinner air where the shot is less likely disturbed.  So that explains why the patterns are more open in cooler temperatures.