OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Well I Say Heck With Waiting On 60 Degrees-I'm Going To The Range To Shoot A Few

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, February 22, 2011, 02:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Congratulations on your results.  Some of those are surprisingly good for 45 degrees.  Your SSX may be a real shooter. 

I should have kept my SSX, but either it or the Ventilator needed to find a new home, so I let fate decide for me.  I'm down to an Indian Creek .665, a Gobblin' Thunder .665, and a Ventilator .655 for my 870.

joshua

Love that truglo ssx in .670 pattern.  Do you think the Puregold in .670 will yield similar results.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I have said several times in the past that the 1.75 Ounce H13 #6 load is a good shell.  Now you jut posted up a good pattern to prove it. :icon_thumright:

S.C.C

Quote from: joshua on February 23, 2011, 05:06:29 AM
Love that truglo ssx in .670 pattern.  Do you think the Puregold in .670 will yield similar results.

night an day difference between those to chokes...design,quality,consistency and above all looks!
IMO,a big plus for the PG.670 in the mossy 835!!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: joshua on February 23, 2011, 05:06:29 AM
Love that truglo ssx in .670 pattern.  Do you think the Puregold in .670 will yield similar results.

Well to be honest whether any other choke would have yielded 312 hits in a 10" in that temp I would have to say I doubt it.  But you never know.  Pure Gold makes a great choke, and so does Indian Creek.  But you really would have to shoot the chokes more to take a better overall avg on what is going on.  The potential with that Tru-Glo looks to be great if you avg those 2 shots.  I have said this before about chokes and I will say it again.  Once you think you figure out what is working and why it works, low and behold another choke comes along and completely blows all that out of the water.  The only way you will know for sure to answer your question in all honesty is to shoot that choke on that day in that temp under the same conditions and then you will have your answer.  Remember this, that Star Dot choke typically would be a hard choke to beat on 60 to 70 degree days.  It got smoked yesterday in the cooler temp.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

And I was shooting the exact same shells from the same box and same lot # just to let you know I didn't alter the ammo by mixing lots. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on February 23, 2011, 06:30:39 AM
I have said several times in the past that the 1.75 Ounce H13 #6 load is a good shell.  Now you jut posted up a good pattern to prove it. :icon_thumright:

Thanks and you are right about this load.  One of the best I have shot.  But that was only one shot, but I don't beleive in flukes when it comes to ammo.  That was no fluke. 

The 2oz load in this choke only yielded 143 hits in the 10".  So there has to be a huge difference in the shorter length of the shot column vs the 2oz load in the physics of all that and what is going on through this choke is my guess.  Interesting to say the least.  I learned a little from all this.   :you_rock:

S.C.C

This is why I like the PG.670 in the 835.may not be high #'s but it sure is consistant/even in all temps and conditions with the H13 2.25 #6's for me!! :icon_thumright:

VAHUNTER

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 22, 2011, 08:40:13 PM
I know my cheek under my right eye has got a knot on it.  It hurts.  But I can take it.  I shot 10 rounds today.  
Beartooth Comb Kit. $20.00 will fix that problem.
great patterns  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I learned some more about how many shot was in that load of 1 and 3/4oz #6.  And this isn't counting the shot that missed my cardboard.  I counted 517 shot in the cardboard.  So the shot calculator table is way off from the 334 shot supposedly in this load.  They are cramming these loads with a lot smaller shot for sure.  So that only makes the pattern in the 10" 40% of the load and maybe even less for I would bet some shot didn't hit he cardboard.  Here's the overall pattern just to let you know.  

[attachment deleted by admin]

knightrider

ILIKEHEVI-13

Yea, and you got to remember this pattern was one of the last shots I took offhand mind you.  But my cheek was sore and also the wind may have played a part of it being a little off centered.  When I shoot at the range off of my benchmaster rest the 870 typically hits deadnut.  The Moss 835 shoots a little left and down.  But my cheek is still throbbing.   :lol:

ILIKEHEVI-13

SCC, not to go against what you posted, but making the point in what I said here is that all chokes will shoot different in cooler temp regardless what brand name is on the choke.  Some may do better than others.  There is nothing wrong with a Pure Gold choke for sure, but it too will have its day when there will be others that will beat it.  Like I said there are no absolutes in the world of choke tubes.  That Star Dot took a licking yesterday, but when it warms up we will see what all these chokes will do. 

S.C.C

Finding a choke for each individual gun that is consistant from 30 deg. to 90 deg. at 40yrds. with the ammo you choose is the name of the game when it comes to a hunting choke,200 even hits being optimum.IMO