OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Well I Say Heck With Waiting On 60 Degrees-I'm Going To The Range To Shoot A Few

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, February 22, 2011, 02:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

It's 47 degrees on my thermometer and that's with the sun on it right now.  But I'm gonna go try out a few new chokes.  I just won't shoot as much as I would on a 60 degree day which is what I like to at least test in.  But at least I can get this urge that is driving me crazy out of me.  LOL!  Wish me luck.   :z-paddy-smiley113:

My car is already packed.   :you_rock:

knightrider

Boomstick

"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

mcgruff1533

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'm going to post some patterns in a bit.  Some were good for the cooler temp.  I had 2 that surprised me.  I had some that aren't as good I'll tell you more in a bit.

ILIKEHEVI-13

The temp was 45 degrees.  So that put a damper on most of my patterns.  But there were a few that surprised me.  

Here's one of them.  This is awesome for the temp.  This was the very first shot through the new choke.  

Here's the other with the SSX.  It's not a bad choke at all for what I paid.  I gave $23 for this choke off of gunbroker.  I know it's made in China.  But I just bought it to test to see what it would do.  

Here was the first shot with the new Indian Creek .675 BDS.

Here was the second shot.  

The Tru-Glo SSX and the Indian Creek shot a lot better today in the cooler temp than the Star Dot.  I only shot the Star Dot once and that was enough to see that it wasn't nothing to brag about today in the cooler weather.  

Here was the biggest surprise to me today.  The Rem .655 Ventilator and my 870 shooting only 1 and 3/4oz #6 Hevi-13 loads.  Now in 70 degree weather I would bet this will go up close to maybe 30 shot. This load I believe out shot the 2oz load of Hevi-13 #6 with this choke.  I didn't count them, but I can tell by looking.    

Here's another with that choke.  

The MAD that normally lights it up with the Hevi-13 #7's didn't do very well today either.  This choke in 70 degree weather has put almost 300 shot in 10" just so you know how temp can effect the patterns.  

I shot these all standing up freehand and it was windy.  The range was closed when I got there so I found a safe spot at the edge of the woods and setup to shoot these.  All these were shot at a tape measured 40yds.

knightrider

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I'm going to ring out that Indian Creek and SSX choke when the 60's get here.  Both those chokes did very well for 45 degrees.  

devin4484

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: devin4484 on February 22, 2011, 08:34:57 PM
you saying your not gonna use them or did you mean bring them out?

I'm saying I'm gonna see what they really will do when it gets 60 degrees.  That Indian Creek should only do better.  Don't know how much better the Tru Glo will do on the 312, but we will see.  That is lighting it up for 45 degrees.  It may do even better than that unless that first shot was a fluke. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I know my cheek under my right eye has got a knot on it.  It hurts.  But I can take it.  I shot 10 rounds today.  

hookedspur

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 22, 2011, 08:40:13 PM
I know my cheek under my right eye has got a knot on it.  It hurts.  But I can take it.  I shot 10 rounds today.  
:you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

ILIKEHEVI-13

Ok if the numbers I got are correct and there is in fact 334 shot in this load that's 62.5% of the load in the 10" circle.  I hope that it gets better when it warms up.  But it may not.  But I would only think that it should.