turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Marlin Watkins

Started by joshb311, February 28, 2012, 10:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshb311

Anyone know where one might obtain some of Mr. Watkins box calls?

savduck

Use the search function with his name. I posted the same thing this past summer. Someone responded with his phone number. Find the post and give him a call.
Georgia Boy

scoot12

His phone number is 1-330-223-2683.

joshb311

Thanks. I spoke with Mr. Watkins and added my name to his list. I won't get to see anything until summer, but at least it should help to ease the woes of passing time until I get to try it out next spring.  :happy0064:

yelpy

Marlin must be really buisy these days. 

joshb311

He said it's about a six month wait. I honestly don't mind a bit. I plan to purchase this one and one other real nice piece for my collection soon. (Along with a few others I have my eye on....)

I want something that not everyone has and is truly unique.

savduck

Thats awesome fellas. I my self want a long box, but got other things to spend money on right now. Congrats to both of you.
Georgia Boy

joshb311

Quote from: savduck on February 29, 2012, 07:02:22 PM
Thats awesome fellas. I my self want a long box, but got other things to spend money on right now. Congrats to both of you.

I think it's just me getting one... unless someone else just signed up with him as well. I'm just pleased to have him working on one for me. Kinda feels like an honor.

I should probably be spending that money on something else as well but I don't think I'll be experiencing any buyers remorse.  :icon_thumright:

turkeystrut

:turkey2: :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-anWHAT DOES MR.  MARLIN  GET FOR HIS BOX CALLS/
gotta love the outdoors!

savduck

When I talked to him a few months back I believe he was 175 on his short box and trumpet and 200 on his long box.
Georgia Boy

WaddleWhacker

i have always wondered why a long box cost more than a short box?? i have made a few short boxs and several long boxs...i can make 2 long boxs in the time it takes to make a short box...i have 6 long boxs sitting on the table that i made in 8 hours or less and out of those 6 i could take 5 of them in the morning and call up a gobbler and there not finished...they still need 2 more coats of finish and finial tuning...i will probably not make a short box again because i don't have the patience to do the checkering BUT if i did i would charge more for the short box than i would for my long boxs....and my long boxs are hand hewn with chisel,pocket knife and rasp....maybe there is something i just aint figured out yet about it

eaglea1

I've actually considered getting into some call making, as I do wood carving right now for about 10 years (no power carving). Anyone know of some plans out there to get started?

joshb311

Quote from: eaglea1 on March 01, 2012, 10:06:43 AM
I've actually considered getting into some call making, as I do wood carving right now for about 10 years (no power carving). Anyone know of some plans out there to get started?

Try the call making threads. I found a lot of useful info in there while trying to find out about the construction of box calls. There's lots of talented people on here that produce some outstanding work. I'm sure you could find someone that might be able to lend some advice.

neal

I bought one of Marlins LB's from him at Nationals this year and wow! Great sounding call looks great with the rest of my collection!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

cannonball

I need to get in line for one of his trumpets.