Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why Not 30 Yard Patterns for Us Lead Shooters?

Started by R AJ, February 22, 2011, 11:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

It is agreed that many want to see what a pattern looks like at 40 yards.
Most of my birds have died about 10-15 yards closer than that so why do I want to see what the pattern looks like after the bird is dead?

I know that the NWTF shoot and others dictate a 40 yard target.I know that you can be fooled on distance somewhat in different settings,large birds,etc.I also know that 40 yards is the accepted distance for a 30" pattern to determine the true choke and quadrant percentages,etc.

When I buy a pair of shoes I want to know how they feel on MY feet. In the turkey woods I want to know what my pattern looks like at my normal set of distances . So don't get too wrapped up in the 40 in determining the best choke for hunting. Target shooting is another animal altogether for me.

knightrider

i do most of my shooting between 30-35 , i want the bird at 25 when i pull the trigger so i practice for those ranges

Jbird22

I have started judging all my patterns at 30 yards as a result of a "few" close range misses last season.  I will try to get some pics up later but I really like the way Win Super X 3-1 7/8-6 and Fed Prem 3-2-6 pattern out of my Rem 870 SM 23" with Kick's GT .655. Also, the Win HV 3.5-2-6 produces a good pattern when paired with a Primos Jellyhead .665. I'm gonna run one of those through my Kick's for a better comparison. I won't be scared at all to shoot one at 40 with any of those setups.

stinkpickle

30-yard (and under) patterns for most of my turkey load / choke combo's aren't much different from each other.  The differences, especially with lead rounds, start becoming apparent somewhere in the 35-40 yard range.  That's why I like to find a shell/choke combo that shoots well at 40, and THEN I try it at 30 and 20 (my preferred killing range) to adjust for POA/POI only.

knightrider

in my mossy 835 with 680 kicks the win hv #5 is throwing some awesome patterns, 35 yards im getting 170 in the 10

R AJ

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 22, 2011, 12:09:13 PM
30-yard (and under) patterns for most of my turkey load / choke combo's aren't much different from each other.  The differences, especially with lead rounds, start becoming apparent somewhere in the 35-40 yard range.  That's why I like to find a shell/choke combo that shoots well at 40, and THEN I try it at 30 and 20 (my preferred killing range) to adjust for POA/POI only.

But they could be high /low etc. at 30 . Good point and well taken.

hookedspur

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 22, 2011, 12:09:13 PM
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Normally, 35 Yard patterns are a pretty good indicator of which combo patterns the best at 40 Yards.  The best at 35 is normally the best at 40, etc.

30 Yard patterns can give you too much confidence in a combo, because most everything patterns good at 30 Yards.

S.C.C

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on February 23, 2011, 06:41:26 AM
Normally, 35 Yard patterns are a pretty good indicator of which combo patterns the best at 40 Yards.  The best at 35 is normally the best at 40, etc.

30 Yard patterns can give you too much confidence in a combo, because most everything patterns good at 30 Yards.
Don't agree on the confidence at 30!Most that have the 150/170's at 40 are the ones that will more than
likely try to push the limit with lead.5 more yards or 45 with lead will have a extreme effect on your pattern!
RAJ your on to something with the 30 yard lead patterning! :icon_thumright:

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I wasn't trying to say that 30 Yard Patterns don't have value.  I shoot 30 Yard patterns myself.  But I also pattern further out as well. :icon_thumright:

I like to see 30 and 35 with Lead.  Sometimes 15, 20, 25, etc.

Kyfoster11

I do most of my patterning at 30 yds.  I do shoot them at 40 yds to see what I got.  I will shoot patterns out at 50 and sometimes 60 to see what happens...but I like to killem close!!
Shoot what you want to shoot and pattern your gun how you want it
Good luck

ky

dawei

Quote from: knightrider on February 22, 2011, 12:21:00 PM
in my mossy 835 with 680 kicks the win hv #5 is throwing some awesome patterns, 35 yards im getting 170 in the 10
That is exactly one ounce of shot.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

dawei

I am a 20ga Pb shooter; I do all of my patterning@ 30yds.

FWIW, I've shot one gobbler past 40yds in my lifetime, and I'll be 61 in May. That bird was shot, in 1978, with a Winchester® Super-X® 12ga 3" Mag 1 5/8oz #4Pb with an H&R® single shot 28" Mod at a distance of 42yds . Every bird since then has been w/Pb @30 yds or less w/a 20ga & Winchester® 20ga 3" Mag 1¼ or 1 5/16oz # 4 or 5 shot. I've killed more gobblers with #4Pb than any other load. I will be using Remington® Nitro-Turkey 1¼oz #5Pb in my 20ga Remington® SPR220 (Baikal® IZH-43) SxS this year however. It throws some murderous 30yd patterns through the Colonial Arms® .570 & .575" chokes I got from RAJ (thanks Robert).

Pb still gets it done AFAIAC!

David

1. Jesus Christ.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

knightrider

Quote from: dawei on March 01, 2011, 03:41:26 PM
Quote from: knightrider on February 22, 2011, 12:21:00 PM
That is exactly one ounce of shot.
thats the best lead pattern ive gotten out of it,and those hv shells about knock the fillings out of my teeth :TooFunny: :fud:

dawei

Quote from: knightrider on March 01, 2011, 04:09:45 PMthats the best lead pattern ive gotten out of it,and those hv shells about knock the fillings out of my teeth :TooFunny: :fud:
I had my shooting shoulder replaced in 09/2008 along with a rotator cuff repair. I simply can't take the recoil of a 12ga any more. Totin' and shootin' the 20ga is a lot easier on the new shoulder of this old soldier. LOL!

David

1. Jesus Christ.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given