OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

So what do YOU do with your bird after the kill?

Started by okiegobblers, February 28, 2012, 10:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigthunderchicken

shake uncontrolably when i calm down i talk about it for a month.
Chase

WFI79

Thank the turkey Gods that didn't miss !!!!!  :TooFunny:

redrivergar

Remind myself to breathe! Regain control of my shaking body, and then go put my foot on his neck. It amazes me that every gobbler is still like my first one! Pictures come next then breast it out save the beard and spurs all the while thanking the Almighty for the opportunity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyrodder

I'm from Illinois and the first thing we're supposed to do is notch the tag and fasten it around his leg.

WyoHunter

Quote from: buck_hunter21 on February 28, 2012, 10:39:43 AM
First thing I do is get pictures taken. Then the fan, beard, and spurs are taken off. Lastly, breasted out.
Me too!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

jakebird

Lately i've taken to breasting out my birds, then grilling it after experimenting with some marinades. Once in a while, i'll still roast or fry a whole one, and in that case i don't field dress the bird in the field. I scald them (after removing beard, fan, and any feathers i want to salvage. A few dunks in sclading water, hold em by the feet, feathers come off very easily. Once the bird is good and clean, then gut it and rinse well. Pat it dry inside and out and youre in business. Fast, easy, little mess. Plus the feathers dont blow all around the back yard and get me in trouble with the mrs!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

ssramage

If it's early enough I put it in the back of the truck and go after another. When I get home I take pictures then remove the beard, fan, and legs. Then I take the breast meat and dark meat for turkey salad.

Garrett Trentham

After high fives, hooping and hollering, and doing a little jig...

I'll snap a few pics if I have a camera handy, and hike back to the truck.

Once home/back at camp I'll remove the beard. If its a mature bird, I will keep the spurs and fan. I have the spurs and fan from every longbeard I've killed.

Obviously I'll clean the bird and fry up some turkey titties!
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Ty

Tag it, take pictures, take it home, remove beard, spurs, and fan,  then breast it out, and then finish the tail fan mount. relax...

gobblerguide

Tag him,take pics and put him in a 120 qt cooler with 2 bags of ice to keep it cool until all my hunters have tagged out.Absolutely will not ride him around to spoil without taking these precautions.We eat a lotof turkey and i think its blasphemy to not preserve the taste.JUST MY OPINION.
Worse than the bird flu on gobblers!

MOStrutter

Tag him, pictures, cut beard and spurs, maybe the fan if someone wants it for a decoy.  If I'm hunting with someone else, then I throw the turkey in the back of my vest and its off to the races again.  I wouldn't dare just leave a turkey laying or hanging somewhere so that the coyotes or bobcats can enjoy the breast meat before I do.  I have never field dressed a turkey.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Tag em',Pluck em",Put em in the Smoker,Then We eatem"