turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 choke

Started by Slowshoe, February 27, 2012, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowshoe

I know this probably gets asked all the time around here, but i just got a Remington 870 for my birthday that shoots 3" shells. It came with a modified choke. What's yalls opinion on a good choke i should get for turkeys?
Swamp Dragons beware.

WW

Sumtoy .650 did the best in my 870 and the jellyhead .665 was a close 2nd using hevi #6's.

stick bow

I'm using IndianCreek .665

swamppirate

Remington Super Full!!!
Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee

Gobble!

It's more about good shells then a good choke. Get some 3" 2oz #6 or #7 Hevi13 shells. If money is no issue get a pure Gold or a Indian Creek choke. If you spent all your money on shells just get a cheap choke that can shoot Hevi shot. After some time at the range you should have a 40 yard gun.

SKFOOTER

The Jellyhead .660 and Remington barrels were made for each other. :icon_thumright:

RemingtonRules

Jelly Head .665 works great for me, better than the Rhino .660 I have.

Trevor2

Ssx.643 is what I'm shooting. I shot it with lead Sunday and got 110 in a 12" circle at 40 yards.
Strutstopper

bird

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 27, 2012, 11:10:23 PM
The Jellyhead .660 and Remington barrels were made for each other. :icon_thumright:

Well it wasn't made for my 28" barrel.  Neither was the Jelly Head .665. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I think Al is right about the Pure Gold .670 does seem to work very well in a lot of 870 barrels.  I like mine.  40yd tape measured pattern flipped over so you can better see it.   Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's 

And this was shot with the factory bead.  That's deadnut. 

bowhunter2k9

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 27, 2012, 11:10:23 PM
:agreed:
Romans 8:38-39

Longshanks

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 27, 2012, 11:57:29 PM
I think Al is right about the Pure Gold .670 does seem to work very well in a lot of 870 barrels.  I like mine.  40yd tape measured pattern flipped over so you can better see it.   Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's  

And this was shot with the factory bead.  That's deadnut.  

Something that i have noticed and this could just be coincidence is that every Pure Gold .670 i have run in Rem 870's, Berettas, etc...I could have just shot the beads because the POI/POA stayed on.  I have noticed the opposite with the Jelly Heads .660-.665.  I have always had to use sights to get them lined up. Could just be the 8-10 guns i have run them in... but it does have me scratching my head.

bird

a-j calls

I shot two chokes in my 870...  .665 Indian Creek, and the Jellyhead .665,
jelly head shot much better in my fun, using 3" hevi, #6 shot.