OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's kicks the birds off?

Started by Bigbirdkiller75, February 27, 2012, 03:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbirdkiller75

I live in southwestern PA and we haven't had much of a winter and I've seen birds splitting up into groups and some are even strutting already and I've heard a few gobbles. Our season doesn't start for two more months so could this be a problem?
Bigbirdkiller75

TauntoHawk

nice weather will put the gobblers in the mood to strut and gobble earlier than usual for sure but the actual breading cycle of hens is determined by the lengthening of daylight.

My personal opinion is that the wont effect the actual breading too much but it will make the gobblers ready to go earlier and might lead tp them shutting down after the breading is done quicker than normal. Im hoping for some cooler weather to shut them down a little over the next month or two myself. A really hot spring will dampen things too, an 80* day in May and you can't beat a gobble out of a bird.

Saturday I saw two birds strutting in NY state in a windy snow storm so they'll strut in about anything.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ty

were in the same boat as you here in sw missouri. birds are starting to gobble as well, but they always do, its all about the hens, the gobblers are just already  showing off

dirt road ninja

They've been gobbling and strutting for weeks down here in SE Mississippi. I'm not the least bit worried, should be a great spring. The woods might be a little greener and I might kill a few extra snakes, but the turkey should do their thing as normal.