turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi 13 Wad question "Update 27Feb11"

Started by beaverslayer, February 22, 2011, 10:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beaverslayer

Shot some of the Hevi 13 7's yesterday in my Reminton 870 20 ga youth using a TruGlo GSX choke.  After shooting, I picked up the wad and noticed it had holes all in it.  Also, the base of the wad or I guess it's called the cup, looked kinda shredded.  All the petals of the wad were full of holes.  I'm wondering what would cause this.  I'm thinking that maybe the forcing cone in my barrel is a little ruff or maybe this is occuring as it goes through the ported choke tube.  Any ideas? I saved one of the wads and will try and post a pic tonight.

Went and picked up a RSF 0.572 lead only choke from WalMart to do some testing.  Yea, I know it says lead only but I know plenty of people who have been shooting Hevi shot in them for a while.  Anyway, first shot at 30 yards yielded 246 pellets in a 10 at 40 yards.  Next shot was at 40 and I got 140.  With the TruGlo GSX I got 113 in a 10 at 40 on a clean barrel and 96 on a dirty barrel.  One thing that was a great surprise was the wadding this time around.  The pictures below speak for themselves.  After this, I would say it was the ports in the GSX causing the problem. The the 2 good wads were fired in the RSF choke.

S.C.C

maybe a dirty bore....choke design and constriction will definitely cause the wad damage you have. :)

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bigwayne17

beaverslayer

Haven't done any counting yet, but the patterns were nice and even @ 40 yards.  Outshot lead shot in my 12 gage 3" gun.  The barrel was cleaned and polished prior to shooting.  First shot on a clean barrel went about 7 inches left shooting out of a gun vise.  Looked at the wadding out of that shell and one of the petals was completely torn off.  Next shot on a foulded barrel was dead on with a nice even pattern, but the wadding had holes all in it and was pretty messed up.  That choke is smooth as glass on the inside.  You can see some rings on the forcing cone that look to be left there when the barrel was machined.  I tried polishing it with scotch brite pad and fine still wool.  Wish I had one of those flex hones for polishing the forcing cone.

CB on the run

Holes right through it, or indentations in the plastic from the pressure of loading?

CB

beaverslayer

Holes all the way through it. 

shootumindaface

My SSX is heck on wads as well..

SumToy

How small was the choke.  Did it have stops in it.  Did it have the lines in it.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

beaverslayer

That makes sense.  That wad feels thin a paper.  I think the choke constriction is 0.565 to 0.570.  I looked at the forcing cone with a light last night and it really ain't that rough.

Quote from:  link=topic=1919.msg24517#msg24517 date=1298469359
It's the wad.

That's a CSD wad, and they look like that with most heavy loads, in my experience.   They just don't hold up very well to the rigors of heavy turkey loads, unless you keep the pressure really low.   It they switched to a tougher wad (and there are such wads available) you wouldn't see any of that.

SumToy

That has not a thing to do with the wad or the barrel  It is the choke that did that to the wad.   We pick up wads all the time.  We have thousands of them on the test range.  The choke is to aggressive.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

R AJ

I shot a Win 3.5-2 1/4-#5 through a Rem ventilator choke this afternoon and noticed that their wad looked strikingly similar to the one you posted. Everything was clean in my gun.

pdqt

I have had the same results as . I started off loading hs in the csd 20 ga wads. The petals had holes in them and the rim on the powder cup was turned up, where the pressure blew by. Went to a different wad, same gun and choke, dirty barrel. No holes, no upturned powder rim.

:newmascot:

SumToy

If the wad is soft that will take one choke if you run a hard wad you want a choke that has alot of tapper or big stops.  I have to deal with this every day.  That is part of the Custom choke deal.  We have a diffrent choke for each gun with a diffrent lay out on the inside for each gun and shell.   That wad is soft but I will pic some up of the rang and post pic of them.  We stop them at 20 to 25 yards from the gun and they not have holes in them.

SumToy

We have a diffrent choke for each shell on the market.  We DO NOT PORT our chokes.  We do all our work with tapers positive and negative.  That is the deal with the ports.  I would look at that wad and say take out some of the ports or back off on the stops to fix that.