turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tell me about your SBE2

Started by chubbyone, February 27, 2012, 07:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chubbyone

I posted in another thread about problems patterning a SBE2. Not much response so lets try something else.

Tell me about your Benelli SBE2, What choke, what loads, and how is it patterning?  I know two identical guns may not shoot the same but it will give me some more ideals to try. Thanks in advance.

By the way I have SBE2 with 24in. barrel in APG. Trying Indian creek choke and Jellyhead.

Borden811

I got mine the first year they came out. It's got a 26 inch barrel, and advantage timber camo. I'm shooting a jellyhead .660 and hevi 13  3 1/2 inch 2 1/4 oz loads of either straigh 6's or straight 7's. Try the 7's out of you gun if you want the patterns with the high nimbers. The blend shells youre shooting throw good patterns for some people, but it doesn't appear your gun likes them a lot. The bigger pellets take up the space of the smaller 7's which will increase your pattern numbers if there are more of them in the shell. Take out the 4's anf 5's and shoot straight 7's. I bet your patterns will improve.

nyhunter

I have a 24" SBEII, mine has never ever patterned very good. I have tried the fallowing chokes, I.C .665 - Jellyhead .660 - pure gold .670 - comp n choke .658 - final strut .655,.660,670. I have tried the Fallowing loads threw those chokes with poor results  H-13 3" and 3.5" #6's , H-13 3.5" #7's , H-13 mag blends 3" and 3.5", win xtend range 3.5" #6's, win hv "black #6's, win xx 3.5" #5 and #6.    

I am currently shooting a final strut .665 with 3.5" 2.25oz #7's and getting ok patterns. From what i have seen the 26" barrels seem to do much better and be more forgiving.  I would highly recommend either a final strut from Rob Roberts or a Sumtoy choke. either one will work with you.

ghillie

Mine is a killer for sure.  I swapped out the spring in the stock for the aftermarket SureCycle setup...man is that thing fast..not a hiccup yet...even in very cold weather!  Also, even though it is a chrome lined barrel, I deep cleaned and polished it.  I think it trued up the POA and softened up the high and low spots in the barrel.  Just don't get to aggressive and it can be done.  Putting up some serious patterns last year when it was warmer.  It's a 26" barrel and I have been running an IC .665 with very good results, however, since I'm mainly shopoting HV-13, I'm going to try the Hevi Choke for it and see how she does.  That is...until the Stoeger 3500 gets here, which will be my primary turkey gun and the SBE2 will be dedicated for waterfowl.

GobblinNC

rhino .660 choke. well worth the money for my SBEII

vaturkey

All the info is on the pattern. This is the exact gun you have.  :newmascot:

I have a Leupold scope on mine. IMO I think you can get the very best performance out of a shotgun if you put a scope on it. Just my opinion though !   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

beagler

SBE 2 with a 24" barrel
Rhino .660
3 1/2" Nitro Company 4 X 5 X 7's
or 3 1/2" Magnum Blends
Aimpoint 9000SC red dot scope

I deleted most of my pattern pics but I'm getting around 230-240 in a 10" circle at 40yds.
Never Misses

K9Doc

Same gun u have now.
Sent to Gobbler Guns: ported barrel, lengthened forcing cone and polished barrel.
Final strut..640 tube
Hevi 13  2.25oz #7s--- 325+ in 10 at 40 yds.
Hevi Magnum Blends---190 in 10 at 40 yds.
Fed. Hvywt 1 & 7/8 oz.---172 in 10 at 40 yds.
Tried a jellyhead .660  had ok #s but not nearly as good as th3 tighter constriction.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

chubbyone

Thanks for the replies so far. When I first started trying to pattern this gun I shot Winchester high velocity #6's through it and remember it shooting a very even pattern. I went Monday morning to buy some hevi straight #6's and 7's 3.5in. but they only had 3in. proably will go back and buy them and give them a try. Thanks again. Keep posting.

dirtywhite

my sbe2 has a 28" barrel and a rhino 660 and some williams firesights and hevi 12 3.5 2 1/4oz straight 7s gives me around 240 in a 10" circle going to try some 6s soon though and my benelli was shooting right consistently are you shooting at a small square target or a big patterning board?
"Forgiveness is between god and them it's my job to arrange the meeting"

bgbuck153

I have a 26" advantage timber with an factory pistol grip topped with a FF2 . I choked it with a Sumtoy 650 and shot a 292 yesterday with a just cleaned oil free barrel . Pattern is a little too tight for me so hes sending me a 655 and 660 to try out . Read my post in the pattern pictures section it might just help out your patterns .

bigdale

I'm shooting a 26" factory SBE2. It has always been a shooting fool. With nitro h517 4-5-7, I could consistently get 300+ clean or dirty with rhino .660. Shot some h13 3.5 #7's yesterday out of the same choke and got 255 and 274.

bigdale

Quote from: bigdale on February 28, 2012, 09:18:12 AM
I'm shooting a 26" factory SBE2. It has always been a shooting fool. With nitro h517 4-5-7, I could consistently get 300+ clean or dirty with rhino .660. Shot some h13 3.5 #7's yesterday out of the same choke and got 255 and 274.
The gun is also topped with a Nikon Turkey Pro BTR

deadbuck

I had the 24"barrel and a jellyhead tube and it shot an average # in the 10 at 40 (175 If I remember corretcly) but it was high and right. I don't like scopes so I sold it and am loving a SX2 now.

allaboutshooting

At one time I had 2 SBEs and 1 SBEII but the SBEII just never felt right to me and so I sold it to purchase the Vinci.

I kept my original 1991 SBE and have a variety of barrel lengths for it, 24", 26" and 28". While all of them pattern well, the 26" and the 28" are much better than the 24".

I also have a Nova with 24", 26" and 28" barrels.

The Vinci with a 28" barrel patterns better than any of them.

I know I sound like a broken record on this but deep cleaning really helps those guns.

There are 3 chokes that work very well for me in those guns. The Wright's #3, the Hevi-13 and the SSX turkey chokes. Hevi-13 in either #6 or #7 pattern best in all those guns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."