OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

over/under shotgun

Started by USMC0331, February 26, 2012, 10:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMC0331

Anyone using a over/under shotgun to turkey hunt with?

schuylkillspur

I have a Ruger Red label I used a few times over the years, I have though about buying two dedicated choke tubes but haven't done it yet.
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

deadbuck

I use a Browning Citori about 1/2 the time. Really like it.

Clucknpur8

ive been thinking about it also. I like the concept a lot

R AJ

I have used O/Us some and have an O/U Win Supreme Field in 12 ga and a newly purchased sxs 20 gauge . When the first Nitros from Nitro Ray came out I know that some hunters had that in the pump or auto but if it got really close they had to shuck out the nitro if they chose not to shoot it at the expense of spooking the turkey.
The debate as to having a close up choke beside a long shot choke, lead vs. HTL. #4s x #6s, you name it are all debatable .
I know of one guy who did a lot of testing and reasoning and he now has the same choke in both barrels and is satisfied with a choke open enough to be effective at close range and yet get around 120-130 shot in the 10 at 40 yds. That being the case you may be better off with the pump or semi-auto by having extra shell capability and they are not as expensive as O/Us in general. The less thinking and concentration you have to do outside of keeping your eyes focused on that turkey and not the mosquito on your nose the better.

USMC0331

Thank you all for your responses.

swamppirate

Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee