OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Purrs on mouth call?

Started by wisconsinteacher, February 21, 2011, 09:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I can not get a good purr out of a mouth call.  I have tried a few kinds and it just does not sound good.  What are your tips on making the purr sound?  I can yelp and cut.  Thanks.

FttFttVroom!

I get the back of my mouth (soft palate?) to vibrate as I huff air over the call.  It makes a much more realistic sounding purr to me than trying to flutter my lips.  Try growling like a dog and start to blow air out of your mouth while keeping that vibration.....that will give you a starting point to the technique

OLE RASPY

I flutter my tongue so to speak works good for me

R AJ

Without a call put the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth about a half inch or so behind the front teeth. Hold lips loosely together and force air out with a T. Tongue will wind up behind front teeth.

Practice short bursts. Later keep lips together as you repeat. Later put a call in there and see if a purr comes out.

Jbird22

Send LX_Trkyhntr a PM. He helped me figure it out in no time through a PM or two. He told me to growl like Roy Orbison did in the song "Pretty Woman" and apply it to the call. It certainly made sense to me. It does take some practicing but if you can roll that growl then you can certainly purr on a mouth call.

FttFttVroom!

Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 21, 2011, 10:55:30 PM
Send LX_Trkyhntr a PM. He helped me figure it out in no time through a PM or two. He told me to growl like Roy Orbison did in the song "Pretty Woman" and apply it to the call. It certainly made sense to me. It does take some practicing but if you can roll that growl then you can certainly purr on a mouth call.

X2 on LX_Trkyhntr.....a real standup guy and awesome caller.  Now if he could teach me to gobble like he does!

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: OLE RASPY on February 21, 2011, 09:52:04 PM
I flutter my tongue so to speak works good for me
x2 :icon_thumright: It works for me too! Just flutter your tongue. It works good and sounds good too!!

njdevilsb

That's a great video Joe.  I personally use the fluttering of the tongue.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 22, 2011, 12:00:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOX3cgUoIi4

TRKYHTR
this is Gold!!! Joe can teach anyone how to get purrrrrrfect purrs from a mouth call  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

gatrapper

I usually carry a kitten in my vest.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

gob09

Quote from: FttFttVroom! on February 21, 2011, 10:58:25 PM
Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 21, 2011, 10:55:30 PM

X2 on LX_Trkyhntr.....a real standup guy and awesome caller.  Now if he could teach me to gobble like he does!
:agreed:

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

lohaus

The Youtube video really helped my last year.  It brought in a few birds too.

furtracker

Quote from: FttFttVroom! on February 21, 2011, 09:50:18 PM
Try growling like a dog and start to blow air out of your mouth while keeping that vibration.....that will give you a starting point to the technique
works great for me