turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" vs 3.5" patterns

Started by BigPeck215, February 16, 2011, 12:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPeck215

there has been a lot of of talk about 3" vs 3.5" shells and why a particular person choses one or the other, i've seen a lot of blanket statements about how "more payload equals better patterns" and "I only use 3.5" for field hunting" or " 3" patterns better in my 3.5 gun"

does anyone have any concrete numbers on 3" vs 3.5" in their gun for example the hevi 13 3-2-7 vs 3.5-2.25-7's
or the 3" mag blends vs the 3.5" mag blend, any shell will do i just used hevi 13 as an example

i'm not trying to call anyone out I am just interested in the debate and would really appreciate any numbers people post

Gobble!

I dont have any patterns out of the same gun but I have seen my buddies 870 with 3" 2oz #6 Hevi 13 pattern bettern then my 870 with 3.5" 2.25oz #6 Hevi 13. His barrel was 5 inches longer though.

BigPeck215

c'mon guys someone has to have some numbers they could give me!!!!!

ILIKEHEVI-13

I can tell you that in my 835 the 3" Hevi-13 2oz #7's won't pattern near as tight as the 3.5" 2and 1/4oz #7's.  But there is another 70 shot or so with that extra 1/4oz load.  But you really need to buy both and compare them in your gun.  That's the only way you will know.  My 870 3" Express loves the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7 loads.  I have got 297 shot in a 10" at 40yds with it and the .675 MAD Super Max choke.  The 835 and the heavier 3.5" loads with the Star Dot has put 349 shot in a 10" at 40yds.  But if I had a 3.5" chamber gun I would send the bigger payload through it more than likely it will give you the better numbers.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Like I said it just depends on the gun.  Both loads can shoot very well.  But in all honesty it really isn't fair to compare the 3.5" loads to a 3" load for the extra 1/4oz of shot will become a huge factor to make the patterns denser since you got about 70 more shot like I stated.  But I will give you 2 examples in different guns.  The 835 may win the numbers game, but the pattern efficiency of number of hits vs number of total shot in this example below will go with the 870 if you figure it up.  But my point in all of this is that the 835 for some reason won't shoot the 3" loads nearly as well as the 870.  But it's hard to beat the 835 for total 10" numbers consistently with the bigger payloads.