OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3x9x40 Bushnell Scope

Started by Hootowl, February 21, 2011, 08:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootowl

I know it may be an over kill on scopes, But I have an Extra scope sitting around and thought about putting this scope on my Mossberg. The gun is already drilled and tapped for bases, But then I kept hearing you don't need that much scope on a Turkey Gun. I really have never used a Red Dot scope? So what are your thoughts, If I use this scope than I can spend more on my Decoys? This Turkey Hunting is so Additive.....

Hoot

chatterbox

3-9 will burn you on a turkey gun. Way to much magnification. Also, that rifle scope may not be able to take the punishing recoil that turkey loads dish out.
Red dots and holo sights are the way to go, or a shotgun scope with low magnification and wide field of view.
JMO

Hootowl

I was trying to save myself some cash, This Turkey Hunting is becoming expensive, although I have alot of Deer hunting gear, you still need some items, although I had to purchase New 12 gauge Mossberg. Now I know this is going to be a An open question with 100's of opinions, But what scope would you get? I have never used a Holograph sight, and would tend to go the typical scope route like the Truglo® 4X Shotgun Scope? I am asking you pros's for Opinions, I really don't want the saddle to mount the scope either, as my Gun came taped and drilled....Help.....

Hoot

Crappiepro

I put a Simmons Black Diamond scope on my gun, its a 3x9x 40 and I havent ran into problems yet. It was and is my slug gun scope. I also have 2 red dot scopes that I dont use because I like the magnification I get from the scope. I think you'll be fine if you shoot the gun and pattern it with the scope on and get to know your set-up.IMO.  Brad

mossybird

If your going towards a red dot, I would do that because my 535 loves it! Make sure you get a rail to mount the scope on.

redarrow

2 draw backs that I can see. Eye relief for one. Most shotgun scopes are LER (long eye relief) this prevents a bad case of scope eye.Your at prob.3 in .ER is asking for a nasty cut to your face due to recoil.  The other thing is the tendency to crank up the power and use it for a binocular. If you forget to drop back to 3 power you will never get the turkey in the scope at 30 yards or less. Due to eye surgeries and vision loss I have to use a scope . A straight 4x suits me just fine. Again just make sure it is LER for shotguns.

Hootowl

Thanks Guys, I may go ahead and Buy a new scope, Holograph or reddot, I am just so Confussed

Hoot

timbrhuntr

I have a simmons 4x32 pro-diamond on my mossberg 12 gauge. Had it for about 4 or 5 years shot lots of birds and ammo out of gun. Scope is still going strong. They  are like $60 on optics planet. I wanted to get one for my 500 20 gauge but they won't ship to Canada  ::)  . Just put the turkey head in diamond out to 40 yds and pull the trigger.

hookedspur

Ive used a Leupold 2x7 for years and no trouble yet.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Hootowl

I like the  4x32 pro-diamond, And the Leupold would be my 1st choice but I am saving the bucks, So I can do my Kansas and Kentucky, and Indiana Turkey Trip. But I will go with the Leupold Next year, as that is what I have on My Savage MLII, and its a Great scope. I have got less than 8 weeks till Kansas and I have got to Save some serious Cash.....

Hoot