turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How long before sunrise?

Started by hitnmissngrin, February 22, 2012, 12:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBeard24-7

You can't tell this person an exact time for when to be in the woods. It's all based on circumstance. You need to allow yourself enough time to get into your planned position or allow yourself enough time to decide on where to set up if you haven't already thought it through the day before. How long this takes is based on how much walking you have to do to get into position. Arrive early enough to get set up and give yourself time to listen to your surroundings and know where the turkeys are when they wake up and the woods comes to life!

Muzzy61

If roosted maybe 45 min. to an hour.
If not maybe 15 minutes before daylight breaks.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

RoosterRD

If roosted and dark- 30 mins. If the moon is bright an hour.  If none roosted, and i have the area to myself- 15 mins is ok. Late in the season when im wore plum out- after daylight may be just fine. ;D

NYbassman

Quote from: LongBeard24-7 on March 04, 2012, 04:09:28 PM
You can't tell this person an exact time for when to be in the woods. It's all based on circumstance. You need to allow yourself enough time to get into your planned position or allow yourself enough time to decide on where to set up if you haven't already thought it through the day before. How long this takes is based on how much walking you have to do to get into position. Arrive early enough to get set up and give yourself time to listen to your surroundings and know where the turkeys are when they wake up and the woods comes to life!

:agreed: I personally live in an area made up of smaller properties. Around here we don't have the luxury of waiting at a listening post and deciding which gobbler to chase. Lucky to have a single gobbler or maybe 2 in the majority of these areas. Not much room to move around either. Most hunters around here will get in the woods an hour before light to a predetermined location. I sure do enjoy when I get to hunt a larger property occasionally though. It is fun sleeping in and listening to multiple birds lighting up the surrounding ridges, knowing you can chase whichever one you want to.

As far as lights go, I don't use one. after a moment or two my eyes adjust well enough to see where I'm going. Again though, smaller properties where I already know the lay of the land.

Frank_T

I get to the woods about an hour before sunrise . If I'm hunting a roosted bird I'll be setup about 45 minutes before sunrise .

Hootowl

I also Hunt a Small woods and I hardley Roost birds the Night before. So I get there about an Hour before Daylight. Lights I have a Headlamp but I dont turn it on, Unless I fall or check My pack before I sit up. I do Have the option of Green light.

Jake#5

15-30 min.  Before day break

open door

I like to be set up 30 mins. before daylight. I use small green cap-lights and work well - I used to go in by moonlight - although I wear snakeboots, I've killed 4 foot rattlers and I don't want to chance them. My son and I did bust one turkey on a moonlit nite, flew out of the tree right above us on our way to set up. My son did all the calling, and 30 mins. after daylight, I saw him coming from the direction he flew - got him at 20 yds, one of the best birds so far. I have to believe it was the one we busted but never know for sure. He could see well enough to fly in the dark (moonlight). I'm NOT going to sit down on a rattlesnake - no turkey is worth that.

Bigmiah22

Ive done both an hour before day light and 10 minutes before daylight, doesnt matter if you know what youre doing and if the bird wants to die or not