OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is the 870 3" enough?

Started by Mapleridge, February 21, 2012, 07:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapleridge

I happen to have a backup gun as a Remington 870 3" with an extra full choke.  If I was to use it and shoot 2 oz. of #5s out of it how far could I expect to consistently kill a turkey?  I will pattern it hopefully in a couple of weeks but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with a similar setup?

HogBiologist

My gun is an 870 express 3" with a 28" bbl.  I get good results with it, but I use turkey chokes.  I bet an extra full with a 2 oz load of #6 HS would be a killer out to 35 or 40.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Jay Longhauser

you will have to shoot it to know, but probably be fine.  My 870 patterns more evenly most of the time with 3" loads vs the same shell in the 3.5 version.  don't know why but it likes 3' 2 oz 6's or 7's.

Tom Foolery

I think the extra full choke is a .687", mine always shot better with #4's, usually the 2oz loads.  If I was using one now I would try the Federal Flight Control wads in 5's or 6's if you are set on lead loads.

Crappiepro

I've used 3" #5 shot turkey loads for the last 12yrs. This year will be my first year using the 3.5" turkey loads. Just find a shell that patterns well and you'll be in good shape. I've always done well with the 3" #5 turkey loads.

Mapleridge

Thanks for the input everyone.  Can anyone recommend a specific choke and load for this particular gun?  Thanks ahead of time

J-Shaped

Yes, it's enough......

Are there other alternatives in new ammo technology, choke tubes, etc.? Sure. But you can kill turkeys all day long with the setup you described. Spend some time patterning it and figure out a comfortable maximum distance for your setup and go hunt and have fun.

chipper

I shot that choke back in the late 80's with Remington Nitro Mags 1 5/8 #4 and killed sevral birds, If your tight on money, the Remington Ventilator tube with 3 Winchester HV or XX in #6 should give you a 40 yard pattern but you will still need to pattern at that range to be sure, You cam get that choke tube for 25 or 30 dollars, someone posted a site in the last week or two were you can get it, for the money its a really good choke.

Tom Foolery

The Ventilator is a good tube, here is one for $17.20:  http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=956890&filter=956890&catid=0

There may be a place that sells them cheaper, but this is the cheapest I could find.  Mine did good with Win HV 3" 1.75oz #6's.

MizzouOutdoors

Mine has always patterned best with Winchester HV 3" #5's out of a Primo's Tightwad choke.

m.blevins

I use a Remington 870 with a 3" shell, 4 shot, gobblin thunder choke. I have killed all my turkeys with it, 11 to be exact, and I love it. The longest kill shot I made on a turkey was 48 yards back in 2009.

tyelper

i have2 remington 870 that are only 3'' and a super mag thats 3.5 but all i shoot in them are remington nitro number 5 in a 3 '', if sighted in properly they wont walk at 40 but i dont shoot past that if he dont come closer than 40 he lives another day,,,,,,i have a venilator in one a primos tight wad in one  and a remington extra full turkey in the other,,,,plus i have an 11-87 in 3'' and i shoot a undertaker in it, they are all killing machines,,,,,dont hesitate, you have a machine there on cdnn investments they have the ventilator choke for 12.99 you will be suprised how it shoots,,,,,

TNhunterKMC

I have an 870 supermag but only shoot 3" shells out of it.   For years used Winchester High Velocity #5 shot.  Killed several turkeys between 50-55 yds.   (using Comp-N-Choke XXXfull turkey choke).   Changed up to an Indian Creek last year and started shooting Hevi-shot Magnum Blend.   I know it will kill a turkey out past the 55 yd mark - would take a shot at 65 if I thought I needed to.  Just prefer to get them in close like most everybody else.

Mapleridge

Again thanks for all of the help everyone.  Awesome people here on this site, the best forum I've ever had the pleasure to be apart of.  I think I am going to go with the ventilator and the Winchester HVs in either #5s or #6s.  Hopefully I get a decent pattern!   It's beginning to look like I might have to use my backup gun for this season so I figured I should get everything in order for the upcoming season.  My ultimate goal is a successful pattern at 40 yards because I honestly doubt I would shoot much farther than that. 

surehuntsalot

3" has been killing them for years
it's not the harvest,it's the chase