OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is Winchesters Xtended Ranges a sensitive subject???

Started by sevetts, February 21, 2012, 02:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FttFttVroom!

No trouble with extended range here.....been shooting them since they came out.

Neill_Prater

I've shot Winchesters for many years, from the time they came on the market with the high velocity lead loads. I then eventually switched to the Xtendeds, normally in #6's. That said, after reading so much about the Hevi's on here, I decided to try them when setting up my Stoeger for hunting. The pattern density with both the #7's and Magnum Blends is substantially greater than the Winchster's, with the chokes I have available. I'll be shooting primarily the mag blends this season.

savduck

Im a winchester fan, despite not having the "pellet count" of the Hevi's. I like to think of it in baseball terms.

Winchesters are like Nolan Ryan........They throw harder and if you get hit with his fast ball you will feel it.

Hevi is like Grag Maddux..........slower and softer hitting, but has more pitches to get you out with.

Both of  these guys are IMPRESSIVE Hall of Fame baseball pitchers with two different pitching styles. The Winchesters and Hevi are the same. To me, you cant really compare them apples for apples. In fact Hevi 13 used to have two other 3" loads besides a full two oz that everyone toughts now. Those two loads SUCK and cant hold a candle to the winchesters with the same load.

The Hevi 2 oz is an awesome load, little slower but with many more pellets. The Winchesters come at you faster and hit harder with less pellets. Both will get the job done.
Georgia Boy

Five O

I started off Turkey hunting with a Browning BPS 30" fixed full choke with 3" XX Magnum 4's. I felt great if I could put 10 pellets in his head at 40 yrds. I limited my shots to 30 maybe 35 yards. Then I moved up to an 870 24" rem choke and a x-full choke. Shooting Federal 3" 6's Wow I could put 30 or so in him at 40 yrds. Crippled several with that gun at 40. The came along the 835 3.5" and it would kill at 40 yrds no problem. Changed to the HV Win. #6's and a Comp-n-choke, they were rough on birds and me (HV's kick like a borrowed Mule). Then came along the Xtended range Win. and holy crap they shot great alot farther than I needed to shoot. Now I have a BPS that will put 268 in the 10 with Magnum Blends with a comp-n-choke which is plenty good enough. But I just bought A Rhino choke and a couple of boxes of Hevi 13 7's to try. I guess what I'm trying to say is most things get better with time.

jjenkins

"  Now I have a BPS that will put 268 in the 10 with Magnum Blends with a comp-n-choke "

:drool: why try anything else

FttFttVroom!

Quote from: jjenkins on March 04, 2012, 07:21:03 PM
"  Now I have a BPS that will put 268 in the 10 with Magnum Blends with a comp-n-choke "

Because 268<300 and everyone is always striving for more

drenalinld

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 03, 2012, 11:10:05 PM
Here's why I have no love for winchester xr's...

We were patterning today and my buddy broke out his 870 super mag
With a lengthened forcing cone and polished barrel. 

He put my sumtoy .650 in the gun and fired a 3.5" win xr 6 at 40 yards.  It went 188 in the 10" at 40.

I then gave him a 3.5" h13 2.25 ounce 6 and he let it eat.  249 in the 10" at 40.

I tend to like things that have desirable/redeeming qualities and I've never found any in a win xr....

188 with higher velocity. That is BAD medicine for turkeys. No bad lots. All pellets are 6's. I love em.

Five O

Because this is all just a big wiener measuring contest and right now i'm not winning  :funnyturkey:

bowhunter2k9

Quote from: Five O on March 05, 2012, 02:38:47 PM

Because this is all just a big wiener measuring contest and right now i'm not winning  :funnyturkey:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Romans 8:38-39

Gobble!

Quote from: Five O on March 05, 2012, 02:38:47 PM

And you never will  :TooFunny:

Five O