OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is Winchesters Xtended Ranges a sensitive subject???

Started by sevetts, February 21, 2012, 02:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevetts

hey guys im pretty new to this site, but not to killing turkeys or shooting a tight pattern! ive soaked up a lot of info on here and taken some advice.  i set up my wife a 20ga turkey gun and used hevi 7s like i was recommended and im very happy with the way it shoots, no dought it will flatten a turkey at a respectable range. I have 4 12ga turkey shotguns and had never shot hevi 13 through any of them untill this year, and it shoots good through my guns, all of which have "hevi approved" chokes. after reading several guys posting pellet penetration info im wondering why so many people on here are hevi 13 fans when there feet per second is only 1090? two of my guns love 3" #5 Xtended Ranges and i have never seen anything KILL a turkey like that load, i honestly can shoot a tukey at 50-60 yards and have no dought he's dying 'hard' when i pull the trigger. im not bashing hevi 13 cause ive never even shot at a turkey with it,im actually shocked with the 20ga load. just wondering why i never hear anything about Xtended Ranges? it seems from the density/fps info ive read that the xtended ranges should preform very well, like they have for me...

stinkpickle

They work just fine.  Hevi-13s tend to have higher pellet counts on target, though.

Gobble!

SWAMPFOX

wkyhunter

Reading this post makes me wonder if the shot in Xtended Range VS Hevi-shot is compairing apples to apples.
Is the shot in X.R. more consistant size wise and more in line with lead shot sizes?
Or is it like Hevi-shot, various sizes with in a give "shot size" that tend to average some what smaller than the comparable lead size?

stinkpickle

Quote from: wkyhunter on February 21, 2012, 05:36:49 PM
Reading this post makes me wonder if the shot in Xtended Range VS Hevi-shot is compairing apples to apples.
Is the shot in X.R. more consistant size wise and more in line with lead shot sizes?
Or is it like Hevi-shot, various sizes with in a give "shot size" that tend to average some what smaller than the comparable lead size?

It's hard to compare apples-to-apples when their respective payloads don't match either.

allaboutshooting

I can only speak for myself based upon my experiences with various tungsten-based shot in several different brands of shotshells. The current production of Hevi-13 shotshells from Environ-Metal are the most consistent performers that I can find.

Over the past 12 years, I've watched as all manufacturers have changed some methods of making shells, or changed components and even changed the properties of the shot used in their shells. Some of those changes have resulted in improvements in patterns and some have not.

Change is inevitable today, just as much as price increases seem to be the norm and not the exception. Shotshells are also shotshells and due to the way they are made, packaged, shipped and handled, not to mention weather conditions, etc. patterns will vary but the Hevi-13 shells are the most consistent that I can find and based upon what I see others shoot, it's the same with them.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

chipper

I used that same load from 2005 till 2010 then I switched to Hevi-13, I've put up the best patterns I've ever shot with Hevi-13 but I've also had a lot of inconsistent patterns with them. When I shoot up my stash of Hevi-13, I will go back to Winchester XRHD because it has always been consistent to me in my patterning and I have a 870 that loves the 3.5 inch #5 and #6, in my opinion Hevi should have kept Jay Menefee's recipe and loaded #4 through #7 and they would have a winner for everyone.

savduck

I dont care for hevi shot. I prefer the winchesters. I shoot the 3" 6s. My gun likes them just fine and numbers wise its not that much less than the hevi shot.
Georgia Boy

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Jay Longhauser

I've had great results with the winchester xtended range 6's in my 835 and bps on paper and turkeys.  I cant get it to pattern very well in my 870 20 or 12.  In the 870's the hevi shot patterns much better.

935deadbird

I've had great success shooting both the 3in & 3 1/2 extends in my 935. They are very hard hitting and great at the longer distances.
"Another One Bites The Dust"

goblr77

I don't have a problem with Win XR loads. Killed a bunch of birds with them. I would rather shoot them than lead or Fed HW in 12ga. In my experience even the supposedly "bad" lots of Hevi will still outpattern them because of the extra .25 oz of payload. I like those additional pellets going at a bird.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Here's why I have no love for winchester xr's...

We were patterning today and my buddy broke out his 870 super mag
With a lengthened forcing cone and polished barrel. 

He put my sumtoy .650 in the gun and fired a 3.5" win xr 6 at 40 yards.  It went 188 in the 10" at 40.

I then gave him a 3.5" h13 2.25 ounce 6 and he let it eat.  249 in the 10" at 40.

I tend to like things that have desirable/redeeming qualities and I've never found any in a win xr....