turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stoeger 3500

Started by unworthy, February 20, 2012, 04:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unworthy

What choke and load combinations are you guys using with the Stoeger 3500?

reynolds243

Sumtoy 650 and hevi shot choke I got the best results from using mag lends and hevi 7's

Magblends around 235
7's around 280

BAITIN

I got an Undertaker .665 and use the Mag Blend from hevi shot in a 3 inch shell. For some reason the 3 inch patterened better than the 3&1/2 so I went with the 3.

reynolds243

Also I shot a PG, IC and JH from mine and the 2 I mentioned did the best in my 3500

gobblingghost

Lookup rutnstrut post on here. He has a 3500 with a sumtoy

reynolds243

here is the first shot from mine, that was with a sumtoy 670 but went to a sumtoy 650 and numbers where much better. I have updated pics to add getting great numbers from the 7's and magblends in the sumtoy 650 and Hevi 656 i will add this week

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,17692.0.html

Proline01

How much do the SumToy chokes run for the 3500? I just got a 3500 and am looking for a new choke. Seems from most of the posts that the SumToy is the best option. I kind of like the idea of the hevi choke as well... Any advise?

reynolds243

Call William at Sumtoy and he will work with you. He is a great guy and they stand by there stuff so if you don't like it he will send you a different one or you money back. Hard to beat that!

The hevi choke is also a great choke and I like it in mine as well but if it is not good in yours you are stuck with it. If I had to buy just one I'd go Sumtoy just because if the service you get with it.

Like I said I tried a BUNCH in mine and those 2 were the best in patterns and POI

allaboutshooting

Quote from: unworthy on February 20, 2012, 04:30:46 PM
What choke and load combinations are you guys using with the Stoeger 3500?

The designers of the Hevi-13 Turkey Chokes seem to have those guns figured out very well. The e.d. is right and the internals are also correct. It would be my choice.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

unworthy

If you check out Sumtoy's website you'll see that they do not reccoment shots under 40 yards.  Can anyone comment on this?  Personally, I have never had a shot over 50 with the bulk of my shots being in the 25-35 yard range.  I want my gun to perform at its best just in case I have to take that 50-60 yard shot, but want it to perform just as well on closer shots.

reynolds243

Just an update but if you are going to shoot Magblends the hevi shot choke is pretty sick with them

Finally shot that combo today and got 268, 259 and 247 in that order.

SumToy

Quote from: unworthy on February 23, 2012, 04:27:56 PM
If you check out Sumtoy's website you'll see that they do not reccoment shots under 40 yards.  Can anyone comment on this?  Personally, I have never had a shot over 50 with the bulk of my shots being in the 25-35 yard range.  I want my gun to perform at its best just in case I have to take that 50-60 yard shot, but want it to perform just as well on closer shots.

What web site you see that on.  I am going to look at this.  I say we have a short rang and a long rang set up. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

unworthy

"For the 40-yard choke, our tests show that you need to shoot no closer than 40 yards. Many hunters prefer this choke because they want to maximize the number of shot in a 10" circle. After a few shots, it's obvious that these chokes are shooting such a small pattern at close range that you are very likely to miss the bird." - http://www.sumtoycustoms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=61

unworthy

reynolds243 - are you talking about Hevi-Shot Brand choke, or another brand that is rated for hevi-shot?

SKFOOTER

Quote from: reynolds243 on February 23, 2012, 04:28:14 PM
Just an update but if you are going to shoot Magblends the hevi shot choke is pretty sick with them

Finally shot that combo today and got 268, 259 and 247 in that order.
Sick as in terrible or sick as in outstanding??  Because if youi're getting those numbers at 40 yards, I'd say it's outstanding!! :funnyturkey: