turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What does #7 hevi shot.....

Started by darron, February 13, 2012, 06:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

hit like in lead? Does #7 hevi shot have the same knockdown power as a #6 or #5 lead? I know when using steel shot they say hevi will hit two sizes above in steel. For example, if one was shoooting #4 hevi at ducks it would hit like #2 steel. What about hevi vs lead?

Philippe

It's pretty equal to lead 5's i believe.

BOFF

Quote from:  link=topic=17829.msg196928#msg196928 date=1329183348
Quote from: Philippe on February 13, 2012, 07:28:53 PM
It's pretty equal to lead 5's i believe.

It's actually less than lead 6s in terms of ft lbs per square inch.  Keep in mind hevi-13 is only 1g/cc denser than lead. 

Here's the ft lbs per sq in at 40 yds:

hevi-13 7s (1090 fps): 169.5
Fed HWT 7s: (1100 fps): 264.1
Lead #6s: (1200 fps): 192
lead #6s (1100 fps): 174
lead #5s (1200 fps): 207.5

You got  two 2 lead #6s Hal.  :goofball:

God Bless,
David B.

sugarray

One is 1200 fps and the other is 1100 fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devastator

wow them fed 7's really perform well.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Eric Gregg

Thanks Hal for that info :icon_thumright:
I have been on the fence between the Hevi-Shot #7's and the Fed's Heavyweight #7's.
I like the looks of those Fed numbers.

darron

If this is the case then why are we shooting the expensive hevi shot instead of just plain #6 lead? The only thing I can see is increased shot in the shell, but is it really that much more shot than #6 lead?

jtharpe

50 to 60 more pellets per oz than lead 6s

Carp

CB on the run

Quote from: darron on February 14, 2012, 06:58:43 AM
If this is the case then why are we shooting the expensive hevi shot instead of just plain #6 lead? The only thing I can see is increased shot in the shell, but is it really that much more shot than #6 lead?

Did you ever pattern Heavyweights by Federal or Hevi-shot?  The patterns are not comparible to lead.  My max range with lead is 25 yards out of a custom Remington 1100 20ga.  With Federal HW's my max is 45 yards.  Plus the retained energy is far greater.

CB

gaboy

ditto what CB said. #6 lead max for me is probably 25-30 yards. #6 hevi is 40 yards. #7 Fed HWT 45 yards.

MERCing

QuoteIf this is the case then why are we shooting the expensive hevi shot instead of just plain #6 lead?

I haven't been able to get anywhere near the pattern density with any lead loads that I have with the HTL loads, regardless of chokes.

My Rem 20 ga is barely a 30 yd gun with any lead loads.. and I'm still not real comfortable taking a shot at that distance with lead loads. Just not the density that I'm comfortable with.
With both Hevi 13 and Fed H/W loads, depending on chokes, it's a solid 40 yd combo. I like to get 'em closer but if a bird hangs up on me, at least I have the option and feel absolutely confident in my set-up at that distance.