turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best sights for my daughter

Started by kenfa03, February 16, 2012, 02:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenfa03

What would be the best sights to put on my 870 for my daughter. She has very little shotgun experience and will be going on her first turkey hunt. Dont really want a scope.

gophert

Here's my daughters (11 yrs old) turkey killer and it sports a Burris FFII.  She loves it!

kenfa03

Very nice. Relly wanting to stay with something simple but I will look int that sight.
                                                        Thanks

remmy1187

I would definately look at some red dots.  Too easy for a kid to look over open sights or not line them up correctly.  With a red dot or holographic sight it is much easier for a kid to just put the dot on the neck/head area  and squeeze.    :anim_25:

pullit

In my book, red dot sights are the ONLY way to go. Put the dot on what you want to hit and pull the trigger :icon_thumright:

kenfa03

I was leaning more towards magnetic gobble dots.

sugarray

My son who is 7 and daughter who is 5 shoot an 870 with a Burris Fast Fire 2 on a B square saddle mount.  My son had all kinds of trouble keeping his head down on the bb gun to line up the front and rear sites.  Go to the fast fire red dot and he smokes every thing he shoots; cans, squirrels, turkeys at 48 steps.  For a kid it is the way to go.  There are cheaper options than the Fast Fire as well.

If you want her to learn to shoot open sites then get her a .22.   If you want her to kill turkeys, put the red dot on and she'll kill turkeys.

Very nice. Relly wanting to stay with something simple
    Nothing more simple than putting a red dot on the waddles

kenfa03

Do any of the red dots clamp to the existing rib or will there have to be drilling and tapping to mount them? My daughter is 25 and shot my scoped rifles thru the years just never any shotguns.

sugarray

This is what I have on my 870 20 gauge for my kids.  Makes it sit kinda high, but you can still see under it.  If you don't like this, then drilling and tapping are what you need to do.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2BSQ16812-1.html

chatterbox

I agree with Ray. My son is 11, and he shoots a Rossi single shot right now. The barrel is too thin to drill and tap, so as of now we use a snap on red truglo bead. It's better, but I feel red dots are truly the way to go on turkey guns.
In the heat of the action, it's hard to keep that head down on the stock.
When he gets his new 20 ga, we will be putting a red dot sight of some kind on it. Either a Mueller or Bushnell.

kenfa03

Thanks alot. I'm exploring my options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BurrisOptics

Not pushing my brand but any red dot is better than a bead or iron sights IMO.  My 10 year old daughter used one last year for her first ever hunt of any kind.  She did very well with the red dot.  She had to make a shot that was directly off of her right shoulder (she's right handed) and leaning in a strange position.  That's a tough shot to make for anyone and she smoked him at 40 yards with lead.  The price is usually right and it makes it hard to make a mistake for the young ones. 

sugarray

Quote from: BurrisOptics on February 17, 2012, 04:31:03 PM
Not pushing my brand but any red dot is better than a bead or iron sights IMO.  My 10 year old daughter used one last year for her first ever hunt of any kind.  She did very well with the red dot.  She had to make a shot that was directly off of her right shoulder (she's right handed) and leaning in a strange position.  That's a tough shot to make for anyone and she smoked him at 40 yards with lead.  The price is usually right and it makes it hard to make a mistake for the young ones. 

Whatever, your products are at the top, I'll promote them for you.  Burris FF III, no doubts and no questions!!