OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

polishing your Barrel updated pics.

Started by VAHUNTER, February 06, 2011, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAHUNTER

Quote from: 2ounce6s on March 06, 2011, 09:57:04 PM
Slicked up a .410 barrel that had lots of tool marks yesterday. Used the method with a .243 brush. Worked like a champ. :icon_thumright:
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

Buxndiverdux

#1. Is it possible to get all the tooling marks out of the barrel with this method?(Moss 835 Ulti-Mag 24") My barrel is very shiny and slick looking but I can still see some imperfections.
#2. Are you guys cleaning your barrels with solvent and such between shots or are you just hitting it with a couple patches over a brush?
#3. I couldn't believe the plastic fouling I got out of my choke tubes when I hit them with bore cleaner. It was a shock to see that stuff come out of the tubes.

I hope to have some better patterns in a few days if more ammo shows up. :smiley-char092: This site rocks!

VAHUNTER

polishing might not get every tool mark out, but it will take a lot of it out . the more you polish the better your barrel will look and perform.

and your right about the chokes. if they have wad stoppers or are designed to slow the wad. they really hold debri. i usually clean my chokes with Shooters Choice or Butches bore cleaner and a good brush

gobbler99

My question, would or should you polish a Benelli M2 barrel?
Good info ;D

fountain

Heard of a different method but want advice before I do it..polish with 0000 steel wool on a wooden dowel rod with a drill.  Anybody do this? 

Iowabucks

Hey everyone, first off i apologize if this has already been covered but i don't remember seeing it in this post.

The procedure says to put in a different choke when polishing, and i understand why. But wouldn't it kind of hinder the polished barrel and shot pattern to put back in your unpolished turkey choke?

Can the choke be polished too, maybe seperately?

VAHUNTER

most turkey chokes made today have some sort of port or ring that grabs on and slows the wad. if you polish one of these chokes you will be taking a chance of nocking the sharp edge off.  then the performance will be lost

Iowabucks

Mine is an older Hastings with no porting at all. Would it be safe to leave it in while polishing then?

VAHUNTER

2ounce6s is right. most chokes have been polished before leaving the factory. on your Hastings it will not hurt if it is polished.like i stated earlier. you do not want to polish a choke with wad stoppers or ports that slow the wad. most turkey chokes are made out of better, harder, metal than what barrels are made of. but it is possible to round off or dull wad stoppers and ports

hawk

Is there somthing that you could use as a substtute for the JB polish. I have the bore compound but the polish is hard to find.I have some liquid stuff called strata 1000 grit, its sort of thick but a liquid made by 3m.Came from an auto body shop. Maybe toooo agresive?

VAHUNTER

i do not use a  substitute anything for J-B. Brownells usually carry both the bore cleaner and bore bright. you can polish with just the bore cleaner alone and get pretty good results

sproultrapper

Awesome post. Thanks for the instructions. My barrel turned out great.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: sproultrapper on March 15, 2011, 08:14:11 PM
Awesome post. Thanks for the instructions. My barrel turned out great.
that great !!! Glad you found it helpful  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Tunaguy

VAHUNTER

Awesome post! I plan on doing the polish thing in the near future. Couple questions: What kind of RPM's on the drill? Slow,medium,fast? I have an 835 24". Does the overbored barrel take away from the forcing cone? Also by the look of things you are also polishing the forcing cone.Correct?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Tunaguy
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

VAHUNTER

Quote from: Tunaguy on March 18, 2011, 01:39:46 PM
VAHUNTER

Awesome post! I plan on doing the polish thing in the near future. Couple questions: What kind of RPM's on the drill? Slow,medium,fast? I have an 835 24". Does the overbored barrel take away from the forcing cone? Also by the look of things you are also polishing the forcing cone.Correct?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Tunaguy
the speed of the drill is a personal choice. i try to keep it at a comfortable speed.
yes you will be polishing from the end of the chamber to the end of the muzzle.
polishing a overbored barrel you will need to cut the scotch bright a little bigger. you want a snug fit inside of the barrel.
if your barrel warms up as you polish, you know that you are making good contact .