only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

polishing your Barrel updated pics.

Started by VAHUNTER, February 06, 2011, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njdevilsb

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 26, 2011, 06:19:52 AM
Quote from: njdevilsb on February 25, 2011, 10:26:40 PM
I see from your new pictures, it looks like you wrap a much bigger piece of scotch brite pad around the brush than I did. I thought it may have been too tight doing it that way, so I trimmed it so there was only one layer of scotch brite on the brush, instead of overlapping.  Does your overlap quite a bit?   
i was doing ShotgunDaves 835 in that pic. the bigger the bore the bigger piece of Scotch Brite is needed

Ah, ok.  Thanks for clearing that up.

joshua

Awesome new pics to go with your polishing instructions.   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

FullChoke

After you have polished the barrel according to your instructions, what is the average percentage increase in pattern shot count are you seeing?

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: FullChoke on February 27, 2011, 08:51:46 PM
After you have polished the barrel according to your instructions, what is the average percentage increase in pattern shot count are you seeing?

FullChoke
i have seen a jump of 10% on most barrels after polishing.
Good things come to those who wait

archery1

i have shooters choice, gunzilla, butchers, hoppes, can i use one of these instead of the kroi ?
Take a kid hunting

VAHUNTER

Quote from: archery1 on March 02, 2011, 12:58:43 PM
i have shooters choice, gunzilla, butchers, hoppes, can i use one of these instead of the kroi ?
what you have listed will clean your barrel. but you will need Kroil and J-B to polish your barrel

blackswamp

VAHUNTER
Thanks for the new pictures.
Life is hard, its even harder when you're stupid!- JOHN WAYNE

Finch

Dang it!!! I thought I had everything on hand to polish my barrel this weekend. I have some JB non embedding bore cleaner on the way but don't have the bore bright. Already had Kroil oil. Is it truly essential to have bore bright? No one in Roanoke seems to carry the stuff.

Also, is it a must to deep clean a barrel prior to polishing? I see where some have done that prior to polishing. Thanks!

VAHUNTER

Quote from: Finch on March 02, 2011, 10:14:46 PM
Dang it!!! I thought I had everything on hand to polish my barrel this weekend. I have some JB non embedding bore cleaner on the way but don't have the bore bright. Already had Kroil oil. Is it truly essential to have bore bright? No one in Roanoke seems to carry the stuff.

Also, is it a must to deep clean a barrel prior to polishing? I see where some have done that prior to polishing. Thanks!
you can polish without the Bore Bright. you will not get as good as a finish but it will still look and perform better than before.

just clean the barrel out before polishing. polishing will go deeper than "deep" cleaning

Finch

killdee

I see you use a 12/20 shells for the cleaning rod to pass through for a 12ga. What do you use for a 20 ga., a 20/410?
Thanks

VAHUNTER

i just use a single 20ga. hull when polishing a 20ga.
just have to watch that you do not pull the brush inside the hull while polishing

killdee

Thanks for this info, I have my shells drilled out and ready and my order in to Brownells for my polishing supplies. I suspect I will be polishing a couple of my buddies popguns also.
Kd

BowBendr

Well, I got the kroil and the bore brite in the mail the other day and re-did my barrel this week according to the exact directions. Much better now.

I also found out that I could use a little more scotch brite than I was originally using, so I stepped that up a little and I believe I got much better surface contact.

Now my 835 barrel shines like a new dime. I have one more 835 barrel to do and i'm sure it will be much easier this time.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: killdee on March 06, 2011, 12:17:33 PM
Thanks for this info, I have my shells drilled out and ready and my order in to Brownells for my polishing supplies. I suspect I will be polishing a couple of my buddies popguns also.
Kd
once you polish 1 barrel you will see how easy it is. and the benefits are very rewarding. i'm sure once you get started everyone that you know will have a polished barrel. best of luck !!! and please post your results. Shawn