OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

polishing your Barrel updated pics.

Started by VAHUNTER, February 06, 2011, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseygti337

Quote from: Spur-n-spit on March 03, 2017, 09:08:22 AM
Here is before and after of the barrel. I was blown away with what came out of this thing. I followed the directions to the T. Very simple process. I will pattern tomorrow and post pics of before and after.

In the before pic, are the lines actually in the barrel or is just the picture?

Spur-n-spit

Yes there was some tooling lines in the barrel. The pic makes them show up more than they really were. But the polishing completely removed these "lines". Keep in mind this was a brand new gun only shot twice!

NYshotgunner

Gosh.....I've been doing a polish like this since the early 60's, never thought I was doing anything special, just made sense.
"Don't go pokin' at it, don't over think it"
NRA Life Member, Veteran

Gobspur

From his profile looks like the OP hasn't been active for a couple of years.  I was just wondering if anyone could post similar pictures of this being done, that he included in the original instructions.  The photos were from photobucket...which of course no longer show up.

Brookky

Yes I could use some help also Anybody?

iamjimmychew

What an informative post.  It would be exceptionally helpful if someone were to refresh the OP with the photos that are now missing.  I intend to go through the process myself, and I could certainly document it as I do; however, I'm not experienced with it. 

Tons of quality information here from a lot of folks.  Thanks to everyone who continues to contribute.  One thing I noticed in reading cover-to-cover on this was the "Deep Cleaning" link was dead, so I wanted to make an attempt at being useful and re-posting it here.

Cheers,
Jimmy

Edit: As mentioned in an earlier post, if you're using Google Chrome (or any chromium based browser) the Photobucket Fix Extension works to fix expired Photobucket images.  Click here to add it to your browser.  Just thought I'd include that for anyone interested in fixing the Photobucket errors.
bratya po oruzhiyu

Brookky

That would be very helpful Jimmy Thanks

coachA

I have seen where yall say use a 20 gauge brush for a 12 gauge barrel. Would i need to use a 12 gauge brush for the over bored 835?

Sasha and Abby

Once this is DONE, how often should I refresh it???  On a dedicated turkeygun, I would imagine never unless you shoot the wheels off it...  I run a snake thru the bore of mine every shot, so I would imagine that's all I'd need...

dzsmith

if you are shooting tss....there is no need to polish it very often. If you have polished it the previous season prior to shooting tss I would not polish again. had an interesting experience patterning tss with a freshly polished barrel. It almost seemed necessary with led as I would always get 20 or so more pellets in a 10" circle with a freshly polished barrel vs a non polished barrel. Tss....barrel needs to be as dry and chemical free as possible from who ive talked to. So keep that in consideration when patterning tss for the first time if you experience some weird shooting.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

YukonC

I ordered all the stuff to do this to my 835. About the shells... if I just remove my barrel to do the cleaning I don't need to worry about needing the empty shells right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobspur

Quote from: YukonC on January 02, 2020, 10:04:46 AM
I ordered all the stuff to do this to my 835. About the shells... if I just remove my barrel to do the cleaning I don't need to worry about needing the empty shells right?

Certainly remove your barrel to do it. The empty shell acts as a guide to keep the rod and brush centered.  You can try without, but I suspect your rod will bounce around in the barrel.  Also and most importantly, the shell acts to stop the brush so you don't polish your chamber.  Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Gobspur on January 02, 2020, 10:15:19 AM

Certainly remove your barrel to do it. The empty shell acts as a guide to keep the rod and brush centered.  You can try without, but I suspect your rod will bounce around in the barrel.  Also and most importantly, the shell acts to stop the brush so you don't polish your chamber.  Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Is that kinda like a bore guide for a rifle? It would seem so.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

dzsmith

if you are following the instructions then yes you need the shells....that's the guide your rod runs through. Personally, I modified my own version of this without using shells because I don't own a 20 guage so I have no empty hulls for it. I also don't use the same brand products mentioned. Basically, between the rotating scotch bright and a quality cleaner you are giving he barrel a deep clean/scrub. It will come out black reguardless of  how well the barrel is hand cleaned. Once ive cleaned the barrel, flushed it, and squeeged it...I run a piece of microfiber around a swab, not a brush, with a little bit of polish on it. its like waxing a car. after many passes the microfiber is black, and I replace it with a clean microfiber. Same process...it somes out black but less black. I repeat it until I get clean mircrofiber. Then I put a 12 guage swab and run it several passes. If it comes out clean, which it does at this point I know I have buffed the polish out to a max potential. Leaves a mirror finish. I probably wouldn't have deviated from the instructions had a friend of mine not already been doing it this way, with no issues. But like I mentioned several posts back. When shooting TSS the results are far less noticeable than when I shot led. . My gun likes a super super clean barrel. But I actually shot a marginally worse pattern out of a freshly polished barrel vs after the next time I cleaned it and shot it. Plastic fouling with the apex shells is severe...and ive noticed that hoppes #9 will slick over the fouling, so I ALWASY follow up with denatured alcohol for a good quality dry chemical free flush. first 2-3 shots after that are good and it falls off gradually from there on out until it settles into what I call 'a dirty pattern' which is still plenty good, I just like counting holes myself. The next time I polish the barrel, I will run alcohol through the barrel before I fire a round to see if that changes anything. One big advantage to the polished barrel is cleaning. Your barrel will clean up much quicker and nicer by hand if you give it the occasional polish. I still highly suggest it.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

WorkingBirds

Good read from the OP. I learned something, thank you.