turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Aimpoint T1 micro

Started by Turkeyslayer 101, February 15, 2012, 07:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyslayer 101

Has anyone put an aimpoint T1 micro on there turkey gun? And if so what's the pros and cons
Be sharp but don't cut yourself!

HuntSource

I'm using two of them on my turkey rigs. The T1 is supposed to be tougher than the H1, however, the H1 has more brightness options.

For me, it's the perfect turkey sight, although needs/wants vary from person-to-person. The sight allow me to go both eyes open. Red dots, in general, negate the need for good check weld and form compared to beads or rifle-style sights. Moreover, you can actually sight-in for a given load. They are more forgiving than scopes in terms of eye placement so you always get sight picture and no parallax. Plus, they can be mounted further forward to eliminate the possibility of a cut eyebrow. Lastly, they don't weigh much and don't alter a shotgun's balance very much. The battery is rated to last 5 years of constant on at a moderate setting. If you turn it off when not in use, who knows how long it will go.

On downside, they are small tube sight and don't provide the sight picture of larger 30mm-style red dots. The optics won't deliver a scope view either. They sit higher than beads, rifle sights, or options like Burris' offering. Most shotguns don't have high combs thereby creating the need to add something to the buttstock to raise your cheek some.

Of course, there's no perfect solution. This one works best for me. I really wanted to like the Burris setup, but I found it distracting.

sugarray

The biggest down side is that it is a tube style site.  This really restricts you FOV.  If looking for a red dot really check out the reflex site, especially the Burris FastFire and the Mueller Quick Shot. 

I put up a review of each here in the optics section.  Even with views through the site.

chatterbox

Quote from: sugarray on February 15, 2012, 08:39:49 PM
The biggest down side is that it is a tube style site.  This really restricts you FOV.  If looking for a red dot really check out the reflex site, especially the Burris FastFire and the Mueller Quick Shot. 

I put up a review of each here in the optics section.  Even with views through the site.
If you are gonna lay out that kinda cash, my vote goes to the EOTech. Unlimited FOV, and the best reticle IMO, and battle tested.

HuntSource

The biggest down side is that it is a tube style site.  This really restricts you FOV.  If looking for a red dot really check out the reflex site, especially the Burris FastFire and the Mueller Quick Shot.

As a non-magnified optic, the micros have an unlimited FOV like any other red dot. That said, the smaller tube size is a handicap if you're trying to use it like most use riflescope with the off eye closed. Then, the outline of the device may block some of the possible sight picture. There's not really any comparative restriction with a both eyes open approach with the smaller tube like on the T1/H1, which is the main advantage of using a red dot in the first place. In fact, to me, the smaller tube of the Aimpoint Micros mounted further away from the eye is far less distracting than larger red dot sights. With them, there's simply a lot more "gizmo" in front of the eye for the opposite eye to "grab."

Granted, larger red dots of quality comparable to the Aimpoints can deliver a slightly crisper dot, which is what I was referring to with respect to sight picture. However, neither will afford the reticle clarity or target clarity of a riflescope so I don't think many would consider that a significant advantage.

HuntSource

Quote from: chatterbox on February 15, 2012, 08:47:20 PM

If you are gonna lay out that kinda cash, my vote goes to the EOTech. Unlimited FOV, and the best reticle IMO, and battle tested.

Although the optic is smaller, the Micros offer unlimited FOV as well. Reticles, of course, are a matter of preference and those on EOTech are good for sure, although I find the center dot smaller than ideal for a turkey gun. The Aimpoints are also battle tested. I've had several versions of both brands and neither has failed me. However, I've read about more EOTech failures than Aimpoint failures the AR forums I frequent, but that's all circumspect anyway. Either optic will do a superb job.