turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Newbie Question (Strut Zones)

Started by BP1992, February 14, 2012, 03:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BP1992

I know this is probably a dumb question, but what do turkeys typically like to use for strut zones?  Are these "strut zones" usually near their roosting areas, in fields, etc.?  Thanks for any input.

honker22

fields, logging roads in the woods, food plots, right-of-ways or just open areas along a hardwood ridge
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

FullChoke

Agree with Honker.
A gobblers strut zone will be where he thinks the ladies can get a good eyeful of his awesome awesomeness.  :z-flirtysmile3:

Generally it will be more open and free of limbs and stuff to mess up the Gun Show.  Just watch for the tracks being flanked by two parallel lines.

Good luck.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Bamarich

If it's an undisturbed bird, he will usually return to that area on a daily basis.

Curtdawg88

Quote from: Bamarich on February 15, 2012, 10:14:25 AM
If it's an undisturbed bird, he will usually return to that area on a daily basis.

There's no such thing where I hunt.  There is someone hunting my camp everyday for practically the first 2 weeks of the season.  And then they give up because they cant' figure out why they can't killa turkey.  I'm no turkey expert, but I know you can't pressure them as hard as my camp gets and expect the birds to play right.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

TauntoHawk

it usually takes me a season or two of hunting a property to really nail down the prefered strut and loafing areas. But once you know were the birds intend to go it sure makes hunting them easier
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dirt road ninja

They will strutt anywhere they feel safe. They do tend to prefer more open areas then thickets. My birds seem to like the more open ridge tops and roads.

cscott

Ridge tops and old logging roads is aboujt as good as it gets for strut zones.

SWAMPFOX

in my neck of the woods they like remote open areas along the lowgrounds next to the river