OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Newbie question.....

Started by joshb311, February 13, 2012, 10:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshb311

What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of duplex shot? I have been seeing tidbits here and there about them. I'm probably stepping out of my league with this one, but I have to ask.

trkehunr93

Know a fella that runs them thru an old Browning A5 with a 30" barrel.  Kills'em stone dead every spring.  Not sure about what choke, but I would guess a full choke that came with the gun, he's an oldtimer.

redarrow

Duplex loads are like a trash can filled with bowling balls,tennis balls and golf balls. No voids or wasted space in the load. 4x5x6 duplex is the same principle.That equates to more pellets in the same space taken up by a comparable load of just 4s.

WildSpur

I like the analogy.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

joshb311

Makes good sense. Now how exactly does that translate to the final pattern? Should this produce more pellets in the sweet spot?

redarrow

Theoretically yes.More pellets more hits. However a load of straight 7s or whatever may produce better pattern density. Other factors at work are the choke,barrel length,the particular shotgun your using ,weather etc. Its really a trial and error thing.