OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

HTL Prices are Climbing...The Lead Forum Gang May Soon Grow.

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, February 09, 2012, 08:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

Quote from: ericjames on February 10, 2012, 09:39:21 AM
Last season I bought a Benelli nova used for $200 with a JH .660 it patterned ok with lead but nothing special so I bought a couple boxes of mag blends to try and a friend of mine was with me when I shot them the first time. The very first shot the poa was dead on with I think it was 209 in the 10 at 40 and he looked at me and said he would trade me his browning silver  with a kicks .670 in it and a bsquare mount and a gobble dot scope. So now I have to try and find a good lead pattern for it,anyone got any recomendations? I am gonna start with the win 3" #6 grey box
Get a 655 choke and some Win HV #6s or the Win XX 3-2-6.

Wycliff

With the prices going up I maybe looking for a good lead load

dlquinn

Count me in as a member of the lead gang after today...pleased with how Win HV's and Win XX patterned in my 11-87...unless lead sees a total ban, I am more than likely shooting Winchester Pb.
NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

joshb311

Maybe I'm a gripe but even lead seems to be jumping through the roof lately.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Wal-Mart is the only consistently cheap place for Lead loads.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

It appears that I guessed right.  Even some of the guys on the Reloading Forum are talking about loading Lead Turkey loads again.

The current and future HTL prices will likely discourage all but the most die hard HTL users.

Tom Foolery

Winchester Supreme 3.5" 2.25oz lead are $23 a box at our local store.  They were I think $14-$15 a box 2 years ago.

Philippe

Quote from: joshb311 on February 13, 2012, 11:57:48 PM
Maybe I'm a gripe but even lead seems to be jumping through the roof lately.

That is due to the fact that the gun shop owners know people are going back to lead so they arw gonna take advantage. I've already called out one shop owner on it a few weeks ago. And sadly enough it seems like more and more shops are jumpin on that bandwagon. With rebates on hevi-13 and federal heavyweights right now, it is nearly just as cheap to get the hevi products and use the rebate offer vs buying lead if they keep marking lead up. The shop i spoke of first had their Win hv 3 1/2 2 1/4 oz loads for 12.99 a box, then 15.99, now its 18.99 in the last week following the latest surge in prices on HTL products.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

LBSS

Most people I know just buy a box per season. You think when they walk into a store and tsee hevishot 50$+ for 10rds they will buy it?  Us 10ga users can get 200hits from a lead #5 load

dawei

FWIW, at my local Cabelas® in Lacey, WA..........

• Winchester® Supreme® 20ga 3" Mag 1200fps 1 5/16oz #4 & #5Pb (#STH2034, #STH2035)  were $11.99 last year and are $12.99 this year.

• Federal® Mag-Shok® Flitecontrol® 20ga 3" Mag 1185fps 1 5/16oz #4, 5, 6Pb (#PFC258F 4, PFC258F 5, & PFC258F 6) were $10.99 last year and are $13.99 this year.

• Remington® Nitro-Turkey® 20ga 3" Mag 1185fps 1 5/16oz #5Pb (#NT20M5) was $6.99 last year and is $7.99 this year.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

frank1969

Quote from: LBSS on April 08, 2012, 10:41:44 AM
Most people I know just buy a box per season. You think when they walk into a store and tsee hevishot 50$+ for 10rds they will buy it?  Us 10ga users can get 200hits from a lead #5 load
good post for the ten 5 years ago i got 5 cased of win xxmag ( red shells) 5 shot and 1 case of 6 all for under 5$ a box thast 1500 shots im set for life

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Fastcat

Last year I decided to jump back into turkey hunting with both feet.  During that time i also discovered Old Gobbler.  I traded for an older 835 and set it up with the a pure gold choke.  Then i was off to the patterning boards.  After reading advise on this forum i bought a box of 3.5 inch magnum blends and 7s. The patterns were truly impressive.  However i was still the proud owner of ten boxes of 3.5 inch win hv #5s. Left over from when i used to be a serious turkey hunter.  Out of my new set-up these loads put 125 in a 10inch circle at 40the yards.  In the last year my wife and i welcomed are first child into the world and now 6 dollar a shot shells just dont make sense anymore.  And i in no way feel under guned when
i i go into the turkey woods.

LBSS

I want to try hand loading lead. Maybe 2 1/4 oz of nickle plated #5s buffered.also like me some #4s They just lay game drt