OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Can anyone tell me the difference in the Benelli and Browning Silver??

Started by TANK, February 08, 2012, 08:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TANK

I hunt with a Browning Siver NWTF 12 gauge 3 1/2. I have handled & shot Benelie Super Black Eagle. Can someone tell me what all the fuss is about with them? I don't see where it's as good as my Silver, but I know personal preferences differ. It's not as heavy & that's the only plus I can find. Almost twice the price tag on them though.....

Ol'Mossy

Sorry, can't tell you, I ain't rich enough to buy either one  ;D

MOStrutter

All you need to do is shoot one.  There are a lot of good shotguns out there but few match up to the SBE or SBE II.

SKFOOTER

I own both.  The Browning Silver, with the overbored barrel, seems to throw better patterns than the smaller bored Benelli barrel,especially with the larger payloads.  

TANK

Quote from: MOStrutter on February 08, 2012, 09:29:18 PM
All you need to do is shoot one.  There are a lot of good shotguns out there but few match up to the SBE or SBE II.
I have but I didn't see the difference???

reynolds243

if i had the money today i would go and get a SBEII as fast as my truck could take me there. Both are fantastic guns i just like the options on the benelli better. I actually am a fan of the inertia system and LOVE that i can break it down and clean it in a matter of secs and Im saying that being a 100% browning man in the rifle world.

Also IMO the SBEII is a better all around gun with turkey, duck and dove but the browning is prob the better turkey gun.

drenalinld

I am glad you asked. SBEII has an inertia operated action. This yields two distinct advantages. One the bolt stays locked until the shot leaves the barrel so maximum velocity is achieved. Two the gases are not vented into the action to build up corrosion and attract dirt and lead to malfunctions and premature wear. This system can function great without cleaning much longer than gas operated autos. Another advantage is the SBEII is the simplest auto design with the fewest moving parts. Many think it is the most reliable and easiest to break down and clean. I agree. For me, it is the best feeling gun I have ever shouldered except for more expensive o/u's. One disadvantage is it kicks harder than gas autos such as the Brownings because it is lighter and shoots harder. Another disadvantage is small bore diameter if you shoot heavy payloads like turkey loads. Another disadvantage is price. It gained major following with waterfowlers who mistreat their guns get them wet never clean themand expect them to work. They are tough as nails.

I have had two Browning Silvers. Great gun and awesome value. The most important thing is what feels good to you when you shoulder it.

30_06

I can't help you either. I have shot both and prefer the Browning.....or the Winchester SX3 which is basically the same gun.

Squirrel Hunter

I have a browning gold and sbe I like the browning best for turkey hunting.

K9Doc

What they said! LOL
I own SBE II, Beretta Xtrema 2, and Remington 11-87's.  Dont have a Browning yet.
SBE II just goes BOOM BOOM BOOM everytime.  Great for us lazy duck hunters that dont want to clean a gun, EVER!!  They are also a dream to point and swing.  They feel great if you are a smaller guy like me.  slim forearm and grips.  That being said, it is WAY over priced!! 
I feel the Beretta and Brownings are far superior in crasftmanship and are fantastic guns.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

natman

Quote from: drenalinld on February 08, 2012, 09:55:24 PM
I am glad you asked. SBEII has an inertia operated action. This yields two distinct advantages. One the bolt stays locked until the shot leaves the barrel so maximum velocity is achieved.

All semis keep the bolt locked until the shot has left the barrel. If they didn't, the shell would be extracted while it was still under pressure. This would result in a ruptured shell and a flash of hot gas out the ejection port, not exactly a popular feature.

TANK

Quote from: Lovtofly on February 08, 2012, 10:01:07 PM
Quote from: PaTurkHntr on February 08, 2012, 09:18:56 PM
Sorry, can't tell you, I ain't rich enough to buy either one  ;D

That makes 2 of us,...LOL
I ain't rich by any means, lol! It took me a year of saving money, working OT, and selling scrap iron to get mine....and I had to sell my 870
in Obcession. The one I have shot and the one a friend has didn't really pattern that well. They also shot low & to the left. I really don't care for the sights on either gun (SBE II or Silver). I took the plastic fiber optic junk off my Silver and installed a regular white bead. This works best for me because I can't see what I'm aiming at with the glowing hase fiber optics produce. I didn't know if it was something I wasmissing about the SBE II or what.....I just couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Nethundergobbler

I have shot both and own a sbe2 and you just cant go wrong with the inertia drive gun. Quick action but very forgiving.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I have a silver nwtf.

When looking for a new gun I considered the Benelli sbe 2, beretta extreme 2, and browning silver.  The most important criteria I used in choosing my gun was first patternability and then fit.

Initially, there are several significant mechanical differences between the browning and Benelli. They have already been mentioned in this thread.  Now to discuss patternability:

The browning is backbored to .742 and uses the invector plus choke system. These features created a solid platform for building a gun that would shoot high #s.  After a trigger job to 3lbs with no creep and travel, and barrel polishing to mirror finish, I now have a gun that shoots 287 hits in a 10" circle with an Indian creek .675 and nitro 4x5x7s at 40 yards.

Good luck finding a Benelli that will do that with their .710 bores.

drenalinld

Quote from: natman on February 09, 2012, 04:26:50 AM
Quote from: drenalinld on February 08, 2012, 09:55:24 PM
I am glad you asked. SBEII has an inertia operated action. This yields two distinct advantages. One the bolt stays locked until the shot leaves the barrel so maximum velocity is achieved.

All semis keep the bolt locked until the shot has left the barrel. If they didn't, the shell would be extracted while it was still under pressure. This would result in a ruptured shell and a flash of hot gas out the ejection port, not exactly a popular feature.

You are right, poor choice of words. The Benelli bolt and as I understand it the Stoeger bolt rotate and lock more securely than the other designs. Supposedly pump gun bolts lock in place, but many of them will open up when shooting heavy loads. Gas operated autos do bleed off some energy to operate the action, but it may not be enough to be meaningful.