OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Higher numbers?

Started by Waddle Whacker, February 07, 2012, 06:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waddle Whacker

Hey guys, quick question. I'm shooting an 870 with a 23" barrel and a .658 SumToy with H-13 3.5" 7's. My 10" numbers at 40 average mid to high 230's with the 20" averaging about the same, high 230's-low 240's. These seem a bit more like 3" numbers to me. Should I expect more out of this setup or call it good. I think it'll be a good hunting setup and has very nice even patterns without holes. I'm pretty pleased with it's performance, but should I call SumToy back and go tighter? I guess im just  looking for some opinions. 

Gobble!

What's the lot number on those shells?
Sounds like a bad lot to me.

reynolds243

really just depends on what you want. those numbers are very very good killing numbers so if you are happy with it just keep what you have. If you WANT higher numbers then call William back and see what he recommends.

I too shoot a sumtoy 650 and 670 from my stoeger and get about the same numbers but then again i do shoot 3" from it.  My personal goal was a 230-240 average at 40 but not rifle tight at 20. Pretty much right were i want to be at the moment.

with an 870 and 3.5" i am sure you could keep messing with it to get into the 290's - 300's but just depends on what you are really trying to do.

Longshanks

Quote from: Waddle Whacker on February 07, 2012, 06:30:20 PM
Hey guys, quick question. I'm shooting an 870 with a 23" barrel and a .658 SumToy with H-13 3.5" 7's. My 10" numbers at 40 average mid to high 230's with the 20" averaging about the same, high 230's-low 240's. These seem a bit more like 3" numbers to me. Should I expect more out of this setup or call it good. I think it'll be a good hunting setup and has very nice even patterns without holes. I'm pretty pleased with it's performance, but should I call SumToy back and go tighter? I guess im just  looking for some opinions.  

Yup, i would think you could get more out of it even though it is still a killer for turkey hunting.  Im turning anywhere from 220's-250's with the 3in 7's out of my guns.  Im turning the lower numbers out of my 21 bbl Rem 870/ Kicks .655 but its a killer so 220's is good with me. That 3.5 load should get you up a bit higher..i bet Sumtoy will work with you to get what you want.

gophert

I would polish the barrel.  That should get you up to close to 300 and cost a lot less than a new choke.  I shoot a 23" polished barrel 870 sm with a .660 JH with 3.5 #7's and average 290+.  That is with the old (good) lot number hevi's however.  I have never shot the newer lot #s. 

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,182.0.html

Gobble!

I going to stick with my answer that you have a bad lot number.
In 2010 with the 3.5" #7s I got 324 in a 10" circle at 40 yards
In 2011 with a 3.5" #7 lot from that year I got 251.
Almost identical weather conditions.

slave601

what bout this years 7s? and whats the number of the bad ones
"thinnin the flock"

nyhunter

Quote from: Gobble! on February 08, 2012, 06:03:01 PM
I going to stick with my answer that you have a bad lot number.
In 2010 with the 3.5" #7s I got 324 in a 10" circle at 40 yards
In 2011 with a 3.5" #7 lot from that year I got 251.
Almost identical weather conditions.
X2

Todd1700

QuoteDo you want a numbers gun or a Killer gun. Your numbers a very good not great. If you like to tinker alot then go for it. If you want to kill turkeys, you are good.

This! 230 inside 10 inches at 40 yards is hot death on turkey necks. If you are looking to win a NWTF still target shoot then yeah, keep tinkering. But if you are just going to hunt turkeys that will make ones head look like a cheese grater.

ghillie

How dead does dead have to be??  Those numbers will do the job!!  I would be happy with that.