OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Patterned some 2012 nitro mega weights today

Started by wingbonehntr, February 07, 2012, 05:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingbonehntr

I will count and post the total number of shot on paper this morning.
I would like to see what this load would do without the 4s and 5s. My backboard was  a new sheet of 1/2" osb. This stuff is really hard and at 40 yds I had a bunch of pass thru's. I know it was those 4s and 5s, he'll you could probably kill deer with those things. No need for that to kill a turkey.

SWAMPFOX

with this being said. should i back up on my order for megas and go with their straight 7s for 12 and 20ga.? is there going to be a huge difference from h13 7 vs. nitros straight 7s.
thanks

fountain2

Swampfox....I wonder the same, but with the patterns im getting out if hevi 7s I don't see a need to change, but again, curiosity kills me.  I know several here shoot straight nitro 7s with great patterns.  Maybe ask around...id live to hear how they did with them last year,  cause that is likely how they are this year.  The fps will be higher than hevi.
also I would stick with the straight 7 for the 20

SWAMPFOX

thanks for the info. slicky!think im gonna redo my order and go with some straights. also interesting is 2 1\4 vs. 2 7\16. i have an ssi-1 with big bore im wanting to experiment with. would it be worth it to try the 2 7\16 out of it or stay with 2 1\4 as everthing else i run is 870.

wingbonehntr

I counted 2 targets and had 505 shot in each.

fountain2

Swamp...I've shot the 2 7/16 loads for years..on paper and in the woods.  Never got anything impressive in paper, but lots of dead turkeys.  The 2 1/4 oz loads have yielded the better paper results and still a lot of dead birds too.  However, the 2 1/4 loads have a time ejecting in one gun

Check out a video I just put up in the video section.  40 yard shot with the 2 7/16 load.

SWAMPFOX

Thegobblergetter

Fountain, where is the video section?   Thanks, John 

SWAMPFOX

in regards to video: nice work. when i go to fla. in 2013 to hopefully complete my slam do i need to bring my tomato plant camo.? loved that settup!

goblr77

Quote from: SWAMPFOX on February 08, 2012, 02:23:24 PM
in regards to video: nice work. when i go to fla. in 2013 to hopefully complete my slam do i need to bring my tomato plant camo.? loved that settup!

Never know where you'll have to set up to kill birds sometimes. :laugh: Fountain wasn't letting that bird get close enough to see he wasn't wearing his tomato camo.

Thegobblergetter

I found the video.  Nice shot, Fountain!  Loved the set-up in the tomato patch!!!!  John

Swamprunner

Quote from: slickyboyboo on February 08, 2012, 12:26:26 PM
Quote from: Swamprunner on February 07, 2012, 06:43:32 PM
I talked to Ray for a while about it.  He said the 4's and 5's held the pattern together. They couldn't get a pattern with 6's, 7's or 6x7's. I would like to see some numbers in the 2-1/4 oz load.

This is a selling gimmick, to get folks to buy the blends, he tells that to everyone that he talks to. However real world results are comepletely opposite.

Also, their are several handloaders here, including myself, that have always gotten higher numbers with straight 7s or 6s vs a blend. Blends can be modified to show higher numbers by adjusting your portions, but they will never compare to the numbers you get with straight smaller shot. Also it is a fib that the #4s and #5s stay tight in the pattern, they are the first pellets to leave the core of the pattern.

Also, the 2 1/4 oz load will out pattern the 2 7/16 oz load every day of the week, and twice on sunday, in 95% of guns because of the bore diameter. The only one it has the potential to shine in, is the 835 and 935 because of the larger bore diameter.

Why would he not just offer the 7's?  That would be perfect.

drenalinld

They do not offer straight 7's because the shot only comes in 2, 4, & 6. They pay to have the 4's and 6's ground down to 5's and 7's. It would cost too much to load straight 7's by their explanation.

fountain2

thanks guys, that shows that numbers are nice but not necessary.  i think i was only getting around 250 on paper, but suffecient to kill by all means.  i still take the 2.25 oz loads for my guns. 

jtg88

Quote from: drenalinld on February 08, 2012, 07:14:25 PM
They do not offer straight 7's because the shot only comes in 2, 4, & 6. They pay to have the 4's and 6's ground down to 5's and 7's. It would cost too much to load straight 7's by their explanation.

If that's the case why couldn't they load up some straight #6's? They wouldn't need to have them ground down and a straight #6 load should put up better numbers than 4x5x6x7.