OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Patterned some 2012 nitro mega weights today

Started by wingbonehntr, February 07, 2012, 05:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingbonehntr

I patterned the new nitro mega weights out of my browning silver with 24" pipe at a ranged 40 yds. Temp was 70 deg with little wind. The load was the m517. 3.5" 2-7/16 oz 4x5x6x7

Rhino 670         225 hits in the 10
Pure gold 670.   242 hits
Indian creek. 675    180
  This is the shell that nitro recommends , but with the Indian creek 665.

jperrotti

And if it was only 6x7 duplex. Those 4-5's are just taking up room
Remington 870 SPS-T Super Mag .660 JH Nitro 2-1/4 oz. Straight 7's Burris FastFire II

mcgruff1533

Call me crazy, but those numbers hardly justify the cost.

Swamprunner

I talked to Ray for a while about it.  He said the 4's and 5's held the pattern together. They couldn't get a pattern with 6's, 7's or 6x7's. I would like to see some numbers in the 2-1/4 oz load.

Swamprunner

He also said that every year the g/cc of the hevi he has received has gotten lower. Said some were down to 11.

GOLD HUNTER

wmd

Quote from: Swamprunner on February 07, 2012, 06:49:46 PM
He also said that every year the g/cc of the hevi he has received has gotten lower. Said some were down to 11.

Ouch!  This is quite disheartening.

Swamprunner

crenshawco

Are the Hevi 13's and other shells receiving the same Hevi Shot as Nitro? Are the all experiencing lower densities or is this just a Nitro problem?

drenalinld

They told me the same thing about 4's and 5's holding the pattern together. They did admit the reason they don't want to load straight 7's is they pay to have them ground down from 6's and it would be too expensive. They talked like they might load 6x7's for me.

The 2-7/16 oz load Hevi load was incredible with some guns.

Swamprunner

Yep. I have been shooting those 2-7/16 hevis out of my SBE2 with lots of carnage

Quote from: drenalinld on February 07, 2012, 08:00:44 PM
They told me the same thing about 4's and 5's holding the pattern together. They did admit the reason they don't want to load straight 7's is they pay to have them ground down from 6's and it would be too expensive. They talked like they might load 6x7's for me.

The 2-7/16 oz load Hevi load was incredible with some guns.

WiLL B

242 sounds like a good killing patern to me!

Longshanks

I used to get some high numbers out of a Beretta Xtrema 2/ Primos JH .660 and the 2.25  4X5X7's.  The shells seemed to be creating too much pressure and the cost wasn't justified when i could pay half as much and turn higher numbers with Hevi 7's.  There is one thing i will say for the the Nitro guys..they have done the homework and if they suggest a choke it is generally right on the money.

Swamprunner

I think the problem with the numbers is that the 4's and 5's are taking up too much room

fountain2

If ya don't mind, could you count total hits on paper?  Id like to have an idea of total pellet count in that load.  Nominally 500-545 in the hevi blends I believe.   

I totally agree with longsharks statement ...the hevi has s higher pellet count, and consistentlt throws denser patterns and is cheaper, not sire by how much this year,  ut still cheaper.  I think this is only gonna help hevi and federal this time......

Also, when did the start advertising /testing indian creek?  I have the jh and rhino and another 698 to shoot nitros, but didn't know ic made a 695 until my talk with nitro.  Never tried one if their chokes before.