OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

When you go to a brand new property what areas do you focus?

Started by Ocoee Ridge Runner, February 06, 2012, 04:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cahaba

All good info. Gobblers love benches off the side of ridges. A gobbler alone will go from bench to bench and gobble for a while looking down for a hen.

Ocoee Ridge Runner

I went and walked the property yesterday and was kind of disappointed. I walked an old logging road that runs right across the top of the property at the highest and saw zero sign of turkeys. I then drove around to the river side of the property and three steep ridges that back up a huge green field were scratched from top to bottom. My thinking is the other guys on the lease will concentrate their efforts on those same ridges just as I would after scouting the property. Deadline for entry in Thursday.

Thanks for the tips, really good info.

FullChoke

A great piece of advice that I got from an old turkey pro on judging the turkey population on a new property is to go around and scatter corn on the roads. Any turkeys will hit it and leave tracks. Make sure that you do it long enough ahead of hunting the property so that it falls outside of baiting.

Good luck.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.