OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

When you go to a brand new property what areas do you focus?

Started by Ocoee Ridge Runner, February 06, 2012, 04:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocoee Ridge Runner

I am thinking of going in on a lease with my brother in law and I am totally unfamiliar with the property. We are planning on walking and scouting some of the property next weekend and I am curious as were to focus our efforts. The property consists of steep hardwood ridges that level out somewhat on top with flat creek bottoms running along the base of the ridges. Would you focus on the hardwood ridgetops or more on the flat creek bottoms? It seems from driving the roads that surround the property that we wont have enough time to walk it all in one weekend.

Thanks
Dustin

TRKYHTR

Walk the roads and look for turkey sign. Especially dusty roads or areas where there are puddles in the road. Turkeys like to roost over water if they can. I would be up on a ridge top before daylight and listen for some gobbling, if you have good weather. Then walk the oaks and look for scratching. If there are any sandy areas look for dusting beds. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Arkansawyer

Personally, I have more experience with public land than leases, but most leases I have been on have their fair amount of pressure too.  So I start looking for birds in places where other hunters are least likely to go.

I usually pick areas based on a topo or aerial, and then make a quick walk through early like this.  Birds are still bunched up, so while it's nice to see sign right now, it's not crucial.  I like to get a feel for the area, and if I figure out where some winter flocks are hanging out, that's gravy.

handcannon

If your talking about a hunting lease that has several thousand acres then you might be spending a good while searching around. Hopefully your lease isnt broken up into scattered wood lots over a large area. Talk to some of the deer hunters in the lease and see what areas they have seen birds in. True, that's there winter grounds but it will give you an idea on where to start. If the lease isnt too big, just find you a high spot before daylight and listen for them to get cranked up. Ride some of the dirt roads and look for tracks. Check out Google Earth and more than likely, it will give you some good ideas on what area's you should check out.

K9Doc

Best places in spring dont always equate to wintering areas.  Look for scratching in bottoms, tracks on roads, and dusting areas where it is sandy.  Strut zones may be small food plots, fields, or open areas in the timber.  If you find a large wintering flock, there will likely be some birds remain there come spring.  Western plains birds have a much bigger winter to spring range (5 to 8 miles) than the eastern parts of the country. 
Many people fail to remember to look for good hen nesting areas!!!  Always a good place to look for a gobbler! :OGturkeyhead:
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

CntrlPA

If you don't have time to pin point key areas. I would check out a topo and find the highest point on the property. You'll be able to hear farther while waiting for one to sound off.

MOStrutter

It would be hard to scout for turkeys at this time because the behavior in birds now and in April and May are completely different.  I would focus on any place you may think could be use a strutting zone.  Look for trees with good limbs for roosting too.  Just cover the basics for now and then come a couple of weeks before season really start scouting from a distance.  You have all of turkey season to bounce around the lease looking for fresh sign.

El Pavo Grande

I would definitely use this time of year to learn the lay of the land.  With the leaves off, you can maybe get a feel for the terrain that could be beneficial when hunting time comes.  I like to learn landmarks and consider entry points you can use if hunting that area.  I agree that the roads are a good place to look for sign.  I make a mental note of any small openings I find in the woods and keep tabs on those prior to and during season if turkeys are nearby. I look for wide based legs that slope from the ridgetop into the creek bottoms.  I love the scouting aspect of hunting, especially on new ground.  Good luck.

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!

Bamarich

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 06, 2012, 09:55:37 AM
Walk the roads and look for turkey sign. Especially dusty roads or areas where there are puddles in the road. Turkeys like to roost over water if they can. I would be up on a ridge top before daylight and listen for some gobbling, if you have good weather. Then walk the oaks and look for scratching. If there are any sandy areas look for dusting beds. Good luck,

TRKYHTR

X2 and use overhead view maps a lot.

Mapleridge

I do know that the birds on my place migrate a little ways from the winter to the spring so I would be on the lookout for that.  I find a lot of my roost trees on hardwood ridges so I think that would be a good place to start.  Good Luck!

NWBama

Agree to above comments. Later in day and as weather warms up I like the creek bottoms near a field.

sippy cup

To start of with find highest spot on propertyand listen in the mornings to see if anythings there
beware of longdale legend

Ty

Shotgun

Climb to a ridge top in the middle of property before daylight and then go from there.