OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi-Shot or Pure Gold

Started by js05_14, February 05, 2012, 04:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

js05_14

Hey everybody. I have lurked on here for quite a while but have never posted. Now it's time to get some help. I would like to get my Mossberg 835 shooting better. I would like to try some Hevi-13 and I am trying to decide which choke tube to try first. I originally wanted to get a Pure Gold choke. I saw that the new standard for them is a .660 constriction. Any one have any experience with this setup? I was also thinking about trying the Hevi-Shot .676 choke. I was planning on trying Hevi-13 3.5" #7's and maybe Magblends out of which ever choke I get. So what would be your pick between the two? Or, if you have an choke option that you think would be better what would it be? Thanks.

chatterbox

Those are both good chokes, but don't overlook the SumToy .675 choke. William makes a nice choke, and will work with you to get you where you want to be with your choke/load combo, and his chokes are very reasonable. The .675 is gonna be in my 835 this spring.

runngun

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

bbcoach

.670 Pure Gold, 3 1/2" #7's work very well in my 835.  .660 may blow the pattern but you won't know until you try it in your gun.  Sumtoy also makes a Quality choke and has a great following here.  Good Luck in whatever you choose.

R AJ

Not to disagree with your choke choice but just reminding you that what works on a Benelli or Remington may be too tight on an overbored 835. So where a  660 does good on a Benelli or Remington , it may be a 670 or 675 that does better with the 835. Shot size and shell can be determining factors as well.
Check out some posts for the 835 and you should get a good general idea.

WildSpur

I am shooting a pure gold .670 in my 20" 835.  I shot 209/10"/40 yards last spring using 3.5" magblends.  No competition gun but a good hunting pattern which is what I was looking for.  When the magblends run out I plan on trying the 7's out with the same choke.  In short, I think it is a safe combo.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

wvhunter74

I'm shooting PG .670 out of my 935 with a 22" barrel and average between 300-330 with the hevi-13 3.5 #7's.I would pick up a PG and try it first but I think with the 7's and a choke in the .670/675 constriction would be good starting point.

reynolds243

it all really depends on your gun to be honest. both are great choices and the exit diameter is not really the full story.  if you are shooting a benelli or beretta product it is not a good comparison for some saying i have an 870 or 835 because of the vast difference in bore diameter.

I have not tried the Hevi yet but I would like to if i can find one for my stoeger for a good price. I have tried a IC, Jelly head, sumtoy in my stoeger and have a PG to try as well just have not shot that one yet.

they all did pretty well but so far the sumtoy shot the best from all of them and all have different constructions and diameters.

js05_14

Well nevermind about the .660 Pure Gold.  Pure Gold does no offer that constriction for the Mossberg 835/935. I think I am leaning more to the .670 PG now instead of the Hevi-Shot choke tube.

Mossberg835

rodneyd

i shoot a 935 with a PG 670 and hevi #7s and its bad to the bone!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: js05_14 on February 05, 2012, 04:14:27 PM
Hey everybody. I have lurked on here for quite a while but have never posted. Now it's time to get some help. I would like to get my Mossberg 835 shooting better. I would like to try some Hevi-13 and I am trying to decide which choke tube to try first. I originally wanted to get a Pure Gold choke. I saw that the new standard for them is a .660 constriction. Any one have any experience with this setup? I was also thinking about trying the Hevi-Shot .676 choke. I was planning on trying Hevi-13 3.5" #7's and maybe Magblends out of which ever choke I get. So what would be your pick between the two? Or, if you have an choke option that you think would be better what would it be? Thanks.

They are both excellent chokes. I shoot both in my Mossberg overbored guns, 835, 935 and SSi-ONE and would gladly take either one to the turkey woods anytime.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

joker

I use a pure gold .670 in both my 835 & Browning gold. They are fantastic for 6 & 7 hevi shot.

Todd1700

I have a Hevi-13 choke in my 835 and with Hevi-13 7's it consistently puts 260's to 270's inside 10 inches at 40 yards. A Pure Gold with the same gun and shells barely broke 200.