turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

trumpet call

Started by Rio Fan, February 05, 2012, 01:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rio Fan

Guys, I recently bought my first trumpet call.  I know I'm going to need to practice a lot to get the hang of using this call, but for those of you who use trumpets, do you have any tips to offer me? 

Also, does anyone know where you can buy lanyards for trumpet calls?

SWAMPFOX

Practice and keep on practicing after a while it will become natural. For lanyards I go to craft store and get twine,sisal,para chord etc. Get my daughter to braid it. Leave tag end long enough to attach to trumphet with improved cinch knot or leave loop to attach and cinch down with small sliver of deer hornwith small hole drilled in it

drenalinld

I set out this offseason to master tube, trumpet, and scratch box. The trumpet has been the most difficult for me. My tips are:
-back pressure is required either by covering part of the bell or making a chamber with your hands with limited opening or a combination of the two

-the idea of kissing with your lips will get sound but not really what you are looking for, I started sounding much better when I relaxed my lips and drew in much less air

-when you learn a mouth call you should exaggerate the yelp starting with the highest note and slowly dropping your jaw to get the lower note on the longer reeds, similarly with a trumpet start out with a nice high clear note holding it as you drop your jaw it will break over to the lower note and this is enhanced with a sound chamber formed with your hands around the bell

-clucks and yelps are shallow draws of air into your mouth while the kee kee is drawn into your lungs

-I will let you know about purring and gobbling if I figure it out...lol

I have never hunted with trumpet but have a ton of confidence I will call up birds with them this Spring. They are ultra-realistic in the woods. Look at Trumpet Thumpers forum in the 12' Contest forum. There is a tutorial video from Savduck describing a silly sounding method but it works. Good luck.

Rio Fan

SonicBanshee

let me know how it works
Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!

NCDEADEYE

Wingbone call is my secret. Not that it sounds most realistic, but Ole Tom is very curious hearing a sound that every turkey hunter in county is using.