turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

rem. 11-87 compact

Started by schief, February 02, 2012, 02:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schief

i was showing another member on here my 11-87 compact 20 ga with a FF ll mounted on a 336 plate. he wanted to know if it was drilled and tapped at factory. i said no i had it done. he thought you weren't to drill and tap them because metal is to thin. anybody heard this or had problems with one.

gtg265s

The old 11-87s and 1100s were indeed a little too thin for d&p.  I too have a 11-87 compact, but I don't know if Remington has beefed up the receiver in recent years or not.  I would expect not, it is probably just as thin as the old ones.  Williams Jigs actually have a note about not d&p on these receivers.

In your case, here is what I would do:

Take the plate off and score the bottom of the plate and top of the receiver.  A dremel tool works good, only go down a few thousands, if it's camo the depth is going to be hard to judge once you get to the metal.  Usually an X shape on both receiver and base work well.  Then use marine epoxy to adhere the two together and tighten down.  Mix epoxy and make dry runs on scrap metal until you get a fill for the stuff.  Make sure not to get any into your holes if they go all the way through the receiver.  If your's is camo like mine you'll probably have reservations about doing this, but it is what it is at this point and if you do it right you'll never notice the modification.  

From an engineering stand point, as long as you have a few rotations of bolt engagement you should be ok with the Burris FF on top as it doesn't have as much mass as say a sluggun scope.  Big Mass = Big Inertia = Big Shear on Small Screws...........  (yes I am a degreed mechanical engineer before the forum police bash me and I have to defend myself...).

schief

thanks for info. i am familar with epoxy. worked in tne fiberglass shop for large airline for years. i might take scope of and put plug screws in holes.

Flyrodder

I was thinking of having a scope base D&T on my 1187 20 ga. Sportsman but the gunsmith said no because the top of the receiver is to thin. I found a base made by Da-Mar that is made for the 1187 20ga. Sportsman. It D&Ts in the top side radius part of the receiver with 6 screws, 3 on each side. It is a scope base and may be to long appearance wise for the FF ll. It appears to be 4" or so in length.
Flyrodder

wmd

Quote from: Spuriosity on February 03, 2012, 09:56:23 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the 12 ga receiver material is substantially thicker? I know a lot of guys that D&T 12 ga 870s and 1187s. Is that o.k. or is that a no-no too?

According to the post in this thread

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,14993.0.html

the author said he was told by Remington not to drill.  Does make you wonder since folks claim to have factory D&T 1187's.  I guess I will not be getting my 20 ga drilled. :(