turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Drilling and Tapping a Remington 1187

Started by deerslayer357, February 03, 2012, 06:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerslayer357

Well, on another forum I am on someone asked a question about drilling and tapping a 1187.  I got mine tapped about 1 1/2 years ago and mounted a scope for turkey hunting.  So far I have had no problems whatsoever other than the base screws loosening (some loc-tite fixed that), but I see people talking about 1187's being to thin. 

Has anybody had an 1187 drilled and tapped that failed? 

Am I in danger of messing up my gun?

The thing that gets me is the gunsmith didn't say a thing about it.  Just drilled and tapped it and sent it home with me.....?

Any help would be appreciated!

old frank

I have no personal experience but I have heard of a dozen that have had it done and have heard of no failures.

Screw loosening is the only thing I heard of and some said they put an epoxy under the mount just to be doubly safe.

Some gunsmiths won't do it and others say it is fine.

I think especially with a FF or light Red Dot there will never be a problem, a big heavy scope might cause a problem but I don't know if it really wood.

I would keep an eye on it but not be overly concerned.

GOLD HUNTER

I have my old school 1187 @ the gunsmith as i type this now and he was a machinist and he said the old girl is good togo . just get you a good gunsmith to do it .

brian

VAlongbeard84

The 12 gauge 11-87's are heavy enough to handle a four hole drill and tap. I have a 11-87 sps-t that was drilled and tapped from the factory. No problems there. The 20 gauge 11-87 on the other hand is a little thin in the front of the receiver. Enough I wouldn't do it. If you are going to use a fastfire 336 mount w/ two holes, you can. The back of the receiver is very thick. You can drop the trigger assembly and see that. The front of the reciver where the barrel sleeve goes is thinner than the 12 gauge big brother. No worries on the 12's IMO.

deerslayer357

Okay thanks fellas!

My 1187 is a 12 gauge, so I guess I was worried over nothing. 

Thanks for the help!

Shellwaster

Quote from: deerslayer357 on February 03, 2012, 06:29:44 PM
Well, on another forum I am on someone asked a question about drilling and tapping a 1187.  I got mine tapped about 1 1/2 years ago and mounted a scope for turkey hunting.  So far I have had no problems whatsoever other than the base screws loosening (some loc-tite fixed that), but I see people talking about 1187's being to thin. 

Has anybody had an 1187 drilled and tapped that failed? 

Am I in danger of messing up my gun?

The thing that gets me is the gunsmith didn't say a thing about it.  Just drilled and tapped it and sent it home with me.....?

What smith did this for you?

Any help would be appreciated!

deerslayer357

A guy in my hometown that does gunsmith work.  He is licensed, and does it through one of the local gunshops. 

schief

Quote from: VAlongbeard84 on February 03, 2012, 08:56:49 PM
The 12 gauge 11-87's are heavy enough to handle a four hole drill and tap. I have a 11-87 sps-t that was drilled and tapped from the factory. No problems there. The 20 gauge 11-87 on the other hand is a little thin in the front of the receiver. Enough I wouldn't do it. If you are going to use a fastfire 336 mount w/ two holes, you can. The back of the receiver is very thick. You can drop the trigger assembly and see that. The front of the reciver where the barrel sleeve goes is thinner than the 12 gauge big brother. No worries on the 12's IMO.

i think i'm the one deerslayer 357 is talking about. i have a 11-87 20 ga that i had drilled and tapped. then i read somewhere the metal is to thin. i used a 336 mount and a FF ll scope which is mounted to back of gun. i was thinking the metal at back was thicker too.

deerslayer357

I didn't realize that the 12's and 20's were different thicknesses....

Guess you best not go by my comments on the other thread!
Sorry for any confusion!

schief

no. i'm glad you commented. i had posted that question before under a different forum and got no answers. thanks

Shellwaster

Quote from: deerslayer357 on February 04, 2012, 09:16:32 AM
A guy in my hometown that does gunsmith work.  He is licensed, and does it through one of the local gunshops. 

Was it Curtis Willbanks by chance? If so, he is a magician with any shotgun. I don't care what anyone says, as long as Curtis is still alive I will take the day off work to take him my gun(s). He does the work right then, explaining everything he is doing and he doesn't charge an arm and leg for his services or knowledge.

deerslayer357

deerslayer357

For what it is worth to anyone else who is thinking about drilling and tapping a 12 gauge 1187 Sportsman...

I called Remington and the guy I talked to in the maintenance/parts shop said that the 12 gauge IS FINE to be drilled and tapped.  He did suggest a 4 hole mount over the 3 hole mount, but said that was just extra precaution. 

Mine is a 4 hole tap, so I think I am good to go!

Mr16Gauge

FWIW our 1187 came from the factory drilled and tapped.

Guess we are lucky.

Be Safe

remmy1187

I had my 11-87 12 gauge drilled and tapped about 4 years ago.   So far I have used variable power turkey scopes and red dots on it and had no problems.  Metal is thin on the front 3 screws but the back screw goes into much heavier metal.