News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fences...

Started by Holston, February 03, 2012, 03:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holston

May be a dumb question, but....

Will setting up with a fence between you and the bird you're calling hurt your chances of getting him into range?

honker22

... not a dumb question.

The answer is yes and no.  I have had birds hang up on a fence and I've had birds that acted like the fence wasn't even there.

It is always a good idea, when possible, to avoid as many obstructions possible between you and the bird.  Most of the time, the birds will have no problem coming through an old barbed wire fence.  If it's chicken/hog wire, they seem to be much more reluctant to pitch over it.

I've had success on hung-up gobblers on creeks/fences by either giving them the silent treatment, walking away calling, or calling softer directing your calls away from you.  Hope that helps
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

jakesdad

Agree 100% with the other guys............have had birds refuse to step over a ankle high fence and have had birds pitch over woven wire like it wasnt even there.The fewer obstructions the better.I did talk to our neighbor a few years ago about the fence between his timber and our field,and I ended up replacing about 200' of woven wire with 3 strands of barbed wire,the bottom wire about knee high.Do birds still hang on it................sometimes,but they seem to come thru into the field a lot more now that the lane of travel is easier.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

TauntoHawk

Ive had a bird march 200yds in just a few minutes, hit a low stone wall gobble a few times and turn around and go right back.. then ive seen birds fly across rivers and streams, even cross roads to come in.

It all depends on the bird and his mood... as a rule of thumb I try not to put any obstacles in the way, Ive had lots of birds hang up (for no reason) only to find out later that a fence, rock wall, ditch, stream, even a large downed tree got in the way and the bird didnt feel comfortable crossing or going around and tried to wait out the hen on the other side.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Holston

Thanks guys.

I've got this new piece of property and it's always had birds on it.

The land owner has had it posted as long as I can remember, but he gave me permission to hunt it this year.

I put 2 cameras out the other day just to see what all I could catch on em, and noticed that all the places I think will be good, are covered with fences.  Just curios as to how turkeys react to them in a calling situation.

Thanks again.

guesswho

Depends on how far the fence is from where your setting up.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TauntoHawk

if there are a lot like cow or horse pasture areas then the birds are used to ducking under as a daily part of life and should effect them that much.

Quote from: Holston on February 03, 2012, 05:39:16 PM
Thanks guys.

I've got this new piece of property and it's always had birds on it.

The land owner has had it posted as long as I can remember, but he gave me permission to hunt it this year.

I put 2 cameras out the other day just to see what all I could catch on em, and noticed that all the places I think will be good, are covered with fences.  Just curios as to how turkeys react to them in a calling situation.

Thanks again.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

pastor

I hunt a lot of pasture land and like others have said you can never be sure how a bird will react to a fence. What I have found is that birds who live and use ground with fences have favorite places to cross or duck under. If you can know those places it gives you an advantage.
Jer. 29:11

strut and spurs

if there is a fence i try to get close so if the gobbler won't cross it i can still shoot it.

Mr16Gauge

What Strut amd Spurs said.

Good luck

:OGturkeyhead:

MizzouOutdoors

If you have enough cover, set up on the fence row, then you're good no matter which direction a Tom comes in from.

SonicBanshee

he wont cross the fence
Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!